Author Topic: Tiny bubbles in Tru Oil  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Tiny bubbles in Tru Oil
« on: September 28, 2015, 07:53:40 pm »
I've been doing tru oil on the past few bows I've made and love the results. I do the finger application, 3 coats, knock it down, 3 coats, etc. I don't know if it's just now starting to do this or it happened before and I didn't notice. But, I've been getting tiny, tiny bubbles in the coats. Will these go away when i knock it down in between every 3 coats?

Offline briarjumper12

Re: Tiny bubbles in Tru Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:09:28 pm »
I don't think I've ever encountered bubbles in tru oil. I've used it a bunch. I put it on in very thin coats and many of them. Is it possible your coats are too thick?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:15:21 pm »
I agree. Sounds like you are trying to apply too heavy of coat. You can keep knocking it down or apply lighter coats which I would prefer to see. You're drying time on those thick applications is going to be a problem.

If the TrueOil is old and thick cut it with a 10% or so mixture of mineral spirits.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 09:25:50 pm »
I put about 5 or 6 drops down each limb then rub it down really well with my finger(in a cut off, latex glove finger). It take a good bit of work to get it all distributed, so I don't think it's going on too thick. It may be an old bottle of tru oil that I got, since this is the first bow I've done with this new bottle I bought.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:45:50 pm »
How does it smell? I've used Tru Oil for many years and never had bubbles in it.  You might have a bad batch. Contact Birch-Wood Casey and ask their tech support. If there is a problem I'm sure they would want to know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Emmet

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:46:51 pm »
It sure seems to me that a fresh bottle works best.
 I get what I think are dried flakes floating in it from un screwing the cap. After many uses it just get terrible to get a smooth coat.
I tried straining some but it kind of thick for that.
I have had what looks like air bubble when too thick.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:29:57 am »
Are you shaking the bottle before you apply it?  I used a cosmetic wedge to apply tru oil.  I found that made the best finish.  I've made the switch to tung oil.  It's a lot cheaper and has a longer shelf life.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left