Author Topic: Osage wizards, I need assistance  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Osage wizards, I need assistance
« on: October 03, 2015, 01:31:11 am »
Branching into bow building and chased a ring pretty darn easy- chased 3-4 for practice- but now I'm laying out the profile and have a problem. This split is only 62" long, just past halfway one side shrinks down to only 1" wide and it has a good pizza slice belly 1 3/4- 2" deep. Can I make this like a English long bow? 1" wide narrowing to 1/2" with a D shaped cross section? I've got a 28" draw and want a good 55-60# bow. Seems like a stretch but if anyone has done it and has a design I'd like to see it! Gonna wing it if not and let ya'll know!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:34:46 am by Tracker0721 »
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage wizards, I need assistance
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 08:06:39 am »
You could. Or, turn the stave 90 degrees and make the sides the back and belly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:26:20 am »
You say just past halfway it shrinks down.  How wide is it leading up to that point? There is nothing stopping a bowyer from making a bow that  has kind of flatbow inner limbs transitioning to longbow type outer limbs.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:24:30 am »
I have a good 1 3/4" almost all along one limb then there's a knot dead center and the other limb shrink to 1" wide 5" past center and slowly grows till it reaches 1 1/4" 8" from the tip.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:46:50 am »
Sounds like you also might be able to cut it in half and flip the one end around then and splice it back together....might be pushing it tho for your stats for a novice...flip or curve the tips up to help string angle...but its possible to get those stats with a stiff handle bow that long...

Personally tho id make a narrow bend in the handle bow...your handle can be slightly narrower if you make your transitions smooth and elongated....you can make the handle one inch wide and make your working limbs 1 1/4" wide till mid limb then taper to 3/8" tips

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 11:18:58 am »
How about a pic or two. It makes guessing a lot easier.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 11:25:10 am »
My only thought against bend in the handle is I have a massive knot going diagonally through the dead center of the stave, and by massive I mean about an inch in diameter shrinking to about 1/2" towards the "core". Could flip the limb, change my center to one side of the knot and make it a 60" bow. Boy that seems short. Is the 1" wide with a deep belly a bad idea? There some reflex to the piece already and if not for this thin spot I'd have a perfect stave. Pictures in T minus 10 mikes

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 11:26:01 am »
Here's one,62" long,7/8"@ the handle and 1-3/16" midlimbs.pulls 50 #. Plus @ 26".tips are flipped and shoots well.osage is amazing stuff!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 12:50:48 pm »
Perfect! I could maybe squeeze a little over an inch out of these limbs. What was your thickness and taper like? Beautiful bow you made

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 01:46:04 pm »
the handle is about 1 inch thick and rather square in cross section.gradually getting wider and thinner out to the midlimb at 9/16ths the reversing back gradually to deeper and narrower towards the tips.kinda like a d bow in the middle to a flat bow at mids to a molly in the outer limbs.this design takes very little set and is one of my favorite styles.i don't measure thickness taper,just bend it on the floor till amhappy.good luck.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 03:49:21 pm »
Well I roughed it out and I'm liking the looks so far. Will be getting floor tillering done tonight or tomorrow. Settled on 1" wide limbs last 10" tapers to 1/2". Handle is 1" deep fading to 3/4" till near the tips. Definitely gonna be some learning done on this one.