Author Topic: Peacock Fletchings  (Read 2947 times)

Offline WillS

Peacock Fletchings
« on: October 03, 2015, 04:42:42 pm »
Some new peacock fletched war arrows I finished up recently.  First try using peacock - horrible things to use, but they look ok.

Birch shafts, hand forged head.  About 116g or 1790 grains overall.  The fletchings are 8" x 5/8"

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Peacock Fletchings
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:33:53 pm »
They look nice.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:49:37 pm »
Why are they horrible to use?  I've put them on arrows before and thought they were easier to cut and trim than turkey feathers.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 09:58:26 pm »
Some fine arrows.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 04:05:20 am »
I'm used to goose.  Peacock are incredibly thin, so they refuse to stay in fletching jigs!  I'd imagine shorter ones would be fine, but at 8" long there's a lot of quill trying to curl away from the clamp, and no real thickness in the feather itself for the clamp to hold onto.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 02:31:28 am »
Hi Will
Nice arrows, are they parallel shafts up to the Fletch and then taper to the nock?
I've found it a lot easier to cut the fletch to shape after it's glued on when using long , low fletches.

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:25:09 am »
They're torpedo tapered, so they're parallel half inch for about 2/3 of the shaft, then they drop down to 3/8 at the nock.  They're all slightly different, because I was tapering them to match weight. 

I've had a go at cutting the fletchings once they're glued and just can't do it.  I find it completely impossible to keep the cut straight for 8"!  I do all of mine using the tried and trusted tape method - split the feather, grind the quill etc etc, then stick wide tape to a straight edge, stick the feather to the tape using the edge to keep it straight and pull the tape off the edge.  That way you've got a perfectly straight feather ready for marking out and cutting, and the tape holds everything in place.  Sharp knife gets it all done in a heartbeat, and each one is identical. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 06:32:32 am »
WOW, nice arrows, love the points. :) and the feathers look good also.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good