Author Topic: Grip feel/ string alignment  (Read 4163 times)

Offline DC

Grip feel/ string alignment
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:05:16 pm »
I had a strange thing happen today. I did a little tillering on my new bow and worked on the handle a bit. When I strung it and held it up it looked like the string alignment was way out. I thought I must have done something when I was tillering. I was just about to steam some bend into it but I stopped myself and rechecked the alignment. It was fine. I closed my eyes and grabbed the bow and held it up as if to shoot. The string was way off to one side. I double checked the alignment and it was OK. I decided that the handle shape must be wrong so I started rasping. It's feeling better but I've still got a bit to go. I'm on about my 20th bow and I have never had this happen before. Is this a common thing? Do you have any hints as to getting the handle to fit my grip? It's not like I'm making a form fitting pistol grip or anything, it's just limb turning into fades turning into a handle like 99% of the bows on this site. What would make it feel so odd?

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Grip feel/ string alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:09:48 pm »
Maybe you shaped the handle so that you held the bow at an angle instead of relatively straight.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 10:17:34 pm »
One  side of your limbs is being reduced more than the other.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:26:16 pm »
You figure just bracing it is twisting the limbs enough to mess up the alignment?

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:40:03 pm »
Why not? A bow bends according to  the way it handles stress placed upon it. If  things aren't actually balanced in line the bow will seek out its own line.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 10:56:43 pm »
It's just no matter which way I look at it, the string looks aligned. It's only when I just pick it up to shoot I have to adjust my grip to rotate the bow a bit so the string centers up. This string alignment thing has always given me fits. You can always get the string to go through the center of the handle by turning the bow a bit

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:07:20 am »
How does it shoot?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 10:32:30 am »
It seems to me that it is either that you formed the handle out of alignment with the limbs or, like Pat suggested, the limbs are uneven thickness causing the miss alignment when stressed(bracing adds stress). Just because the handle feels right in your hand doesn't mean the alignment is correct.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 12:28:54 pm »
Maybe you shaped the handle so that you held the bow at an angle instead of relatively straight.

I'm sorry, I was sure I responded to your post. I must have forgotten to push "POST". Anyway, that was what I thought was going on but now I'm doubting myself. This is my twisty stave http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,54261.0.html and I'm now thinking that it's the twisted/bent section that is causing my grief. I followed Simpson's advice and left the inner part of the curve thicker but that area is twisted so it just wants to go sideways. I don't think I can stop that. I tried taking pictures but they didn't turn out that well(shiny white sapwood :D) Maybe you can see something? Any advice?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 12:34:34 pm »
A full picture braced and unbraced showing alignment would no doubt help answer you question.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 01:05:35 pm »
The bow has a little reflex so in the unbraced picture(the second) I ran the string down the back.
Oh crap, I turned the bow upside down when I braced it. Let me know if you want me to sort it out
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:16:43 pm by DC »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 01:59:06 pm »
Shoot it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 02:16:23 pm »
It doesn't look that far off. I would probably do a bowyers knot on the bottom limb and 1 side nock on the top limb and that will do a small correction in the alignment.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 02:43:28 pm »
Just curious, but if you hold it loosely when shooting, does it want to rotate in your bowhand upon release or during the draw?

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 04:10:14 pm »
I haven't shot it yet, gotta sneak a couple more lbs of it. With a stave like this it's real tough trying to decide where to remove wood so I'm going SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWW.