Author Topic: ideas for a giant bow  (Read 6335 times)

Online Badger

Re: ideas for a giant bow
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 04:17:30 am »
I just finished 2 bows for a guy both drawing 32" and about 80#. One is a 69" hickory flatbow and the other is a 72" semi elb ( stiff narrowed handle yew). 80" long should be enough for a 36" draw. getting arrows spined right will be a bigger challenge than the bow. Steve

Far East Archer

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 12:51:05 pm »
Ok, that is quite long draw but I have done before and very long length is not really necessary as already stated. With good tiller, a 72" bow could pull it off but thats with wood like yew, osage and bamboo/ipe, but, we are working with walnut and birch here so 80" is a good length. I wouldn't go more than 1 1/2" wide as it really isn't necessary and would create much paradox I believe for such a large stiff arrow. Of course his hands might be larger and so the wider grip might not matter much and may even be comfortable but for arrow matching sake, leave it at 1 1/2". I would also leave it quite thick at first because these woods are not very stiff and so will need more wood to make the weight. A good starting point would be 1 1/4" thick in the handle area and tapering to maybe 1/2" at tips, which later can me thinned down to 3/8". Also, keep the width at 1 1/2" until around mid-limb and then taper to 1/2". I think the ideal tiller would be full compass like warbow as this makes whole bow work and will make it less prone to breakage. Heat treating the belly also seems like a good idea if you can. Anyways, good luck mate and have fun!  :)

-Alex

Online Badger

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 01:37:28 pm »
        This is one of the reasons I don't believe in building bows by demensions. Building by mass you can pick any draw weight, draw length and bow length and have a good idea how to build it. I would build the bow you are describing for 84", 36" draw @ 80# between 32 oz and 36 oz, depending on the tiller used. Steve

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 01:55:52 pm »
You could go to a narrow handle flatbow design and increase the limb width to 2in. It will likely have less string follow that way with birch. Just make some arrows out of 3/4 in dowels for sasquach there:-) j/k.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter