Author Topic: ideas for a giant bow  (Read 6336 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
ideas for a giant bow
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:46:11 am »
Hi all.
My latest commision is from a good friend of mine. he wants a bow as tall as he is, and of high poundage. Somewhere about the 80lbs range.
normaly I would just go and try to build it. However this is a remarkable situation my friend is 7 feet tall, and have a draw of 3 feet.
I have a stave of birch, and a stave of walnut(all sapwood). I was planning to make it into a viking longbow for him, and give this  the square profile That I have been working on.

I just wanted to run my situation passed all you lovely proffesions and bow geniuses.
~thanks!
 Bootboy
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Skeaterbait

Re: ideas for a giant bow
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:09:15 am »
Ok, first thing would be to go to the salvage yard and get some decent leaf springs..... maybe not.

I am afraid I can't offer advise but would like to formally request a build along for this one. Should prove interesting and educational.

jamie

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:52 am »
is it black walnut or walnut. from my experience idstay away from the birch for sure. i think youd be better off with a piece of hickory, maple or ash. like skeater said id love to see ya do a build along for this monster. id have to use my feet to draw 36" ;D

330bull

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:38:54 pm »
I bet Vine Maple would be an excellent choice. 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:55:20 pm »
As has been stated in TTB, any wood can be made into a good bow.  If you use formulas developed by Tim Baker - you will not have a problem making an 80lb bow with a 36" draw.

If it were me, I would make two bows (birch and walnut) for your friend...and let him choose the best one.  You can always cut down the one he doesn't choose...and re-tiller the bow for someone smaller (like the rest of humanity).

;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 06:30:19 pm »
Make it 86" long, and it should be able to handle that draw and that weight. Leave it as a normal D bow- 1 1 3/4" wide for the middle 43", tapering to 1/2" nocks. I don't know just how thick it would be, but I assume something like 1 1/4" thick at the handle and 1/2" thick at the tips. Maybe thicker though. I don't know which would be better, but any good hardwood should work as long as you tiller it slowly, and don't abuse the wood. I would brace it at about 7", but I think that's as far as you could go with birch. Black walnut should be able to stand more stress, but a 7" should alwso yield a faster bow.

And once you give him the bow, tell him Robin Hood was looking for him ;D

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 07:55:49 pm »
My calculations show that with a six to eight inch handle section you should be in the nieghborhood of 78-82 inches.  No need to go all the way up to 86 if you do not have to

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 08:45:44 pm »
My calculations show that with a six to eight inch handle section you should be in the nieghborhood of 78-82 inches.  No need to go all the way up to 86 if you do not have to

Whoops- I was talking about long, semi- Hill bows :-X

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:04:01 pm »
is it black walnut or walnut. from my experience idstay away from the birch for sure. i think youd be better off with a piece of hickory, maple or ash. like skeater said id love to see ya do a build along for this monster. id have to use my feet to draw 36" ;D

I once saw on the tube an african shoot a giant bow with his feet at elephants.  I have always wanted one.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:35:04 pm »
whoah great responses!
You guys want a build a long from me???

You got it, stay tuned for photos!
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Rich Saffold

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 03:13:28 am »
I have made several 7' bows for tall folks over the years..One is made of birch, and it's plenty fast still considering its 16 years old and been abused like a rented mule :o :D.

At these lengths the lighter woods can handle a bit more load, ..Easy to tiller too..

Rich

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 02:53:18 am »
STAY TUNED FOR THE 7 FOOT BIRCH LONG BOW BUIIIILD ALONG!!!!
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Loki

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 02:43:11 pm »
I regular shoot a 79" Bow,it's great!
Durham,England

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 03:58:41 pm »
I'd make an 80" hickory backed osage ELB.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 07:09:23 pm »
Wow...you gonna use a winch to exercise the limbs during tillering?....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....