Author Topic: Protecting Stone Points?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Thunder

Protecting Stone Points?
« on: October 13, 2015, 02:13:16 pm »
So, whats a good way to keep stone points from banging around in your quiver? I made an arrow cup, but what should I put in there?
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Protecting Stone Points?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 02:22:13 pm »
sand or oats or a foam block . . . .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 02:23:46 pm »
I use foam block in my quivers not only for stone but steel points too. Keeps them sharp and safe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 02:28:45 pm »
I made this quiver for carrying stone points.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=42461.0
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 02:47:20 pm »
I use leather "socks".  With the quiver I use, I can draw an arrow and the sock stays inside the quiver.  Helps keep them quite too.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 02:50:01 pm »
That quiver is really cool, OO.  Are still happy with it, or would you make any changes. 

Russ

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:50:53 pm »
I agree, very cool quiver Clint

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:35:16 pm »
Collect some peat moss or make a big nest of plant fiber and make a large nest for the bottom of your quiver. I also like the leather covers for each point. I wonder if you attached a string to the ends of the leather so when you pulled the arrow out the sheath would come off and hang on the outside of the quiver..if that makes sense.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 07:44:45 pm »
I've always used Spanish moss.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:03:41 pm »
I use Spanish Moss in the bottom of my basket quiver.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 09:57:15 pm »
That quiver is really cool, OO.  Are still happy with it, or would you make any changes. 

Russ

I only used stone points one season so I haven't used that quiver since.  It did a great job holding my arrows that year.  I hunt the hills around my house so I don't have far to travel.  I would hang it up in the tree stand next to me.  One morning I took a shot and needed a second arrow.  I was able to quickly grab the arrow and pull it from the quiver without making much movement.  The only thing I would do different would be to attach the sections of fuel line to the bamboo with small wood screws instead of string. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Thunder

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 10:11:16 pm »
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the great ideas.

Cheers
Thunder  8)
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

riverrat

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 08:59:13 pm »
i like bark quivers. with that said i line them with deer skin on the sides and somethin like raccoon/rabbit/ect fur at the bottom. they dont rattle that way and points are pretty much protected.its a stiff quiver so it protects the shafts too. i like 3 extra long straps of leather for a carry strap. two top, one bottom.so i can tie them in a knot together. either to carry over the shoulder, or , while im hunting, around my waist which turns a normal back quiver into a waist quiver.i think this is the perfect quiver.to me anyhow.Tony