Author Topic: Tall Timber  (Read 7013 times)

Stringman

Tall Timber
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:52:59 pm »
Worked with an ol boy once who said, "tall timber makes for good splitting!" Now I'm pretty sure he was implying something different as he leaned on his shovel and watched the foot traffic, but I can't get that sayin out of my head looking at this purty piece of Locust.

The stick came from Ol' Hippy at the classic and I tried everything I could think of to turn down the gift. Even out right told him, I don't like Black Locust as a bow wood. He wouldn't hear none of it and thrust this stick in my hands saying, "give it a try anyway..."

Well try I did and darned near gave up on it several times. Kept coming back (I'm a glutton for punishment) and eventually got it to floor tiller. I noticed the limbs weren't quite lined up and it was wantin to slip sideways, so I put a little heat to it and attempted to get em lined back up. Crazy thing gave me a scare when the wood started to seperate a little and I came real close to cutting it into firewood again!

After I calmed down, I filled it with good CA glue and let it dry overnight. Soon I was back after it and had er shooting in no time. Kept looking at that crack and expecting compression failure with every pull. Stupid thing never budged. I even wore safety glasses while shooting it in, cause I knew it was gonna end violently! Well, paint me red and call me a chigger, cause I was wrong!

Sanded the snot out of her and the crack is all but gone and still hasn't moved. Might have a 1/2" of string follow after resting and is extremely light and quick in the hand. For finish work I kept it simple, cause, well... Look at her! Wouldn't you?!? 68"ttt 55#@28" with snake wood overlays (thanks G)and a hand rubbed beeswax finish. Ever rubbed a wet finger around the rim of a fine crystal glass? Well, then you know the feeling.

God Bless!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tall Timber
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 01:00:14 pm »
Sweet, great story, real pretty nocks.
Nice one :)
Del
(Ok... "you're a chigger".. I got some red paint, but I don't have a long enough brush :laugh: )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:01:48 pm »
"I even wore safety glasses while shooting it in, cause I knew it was gonna end violently! Well, paint me red and call me a chigger, cause I was wrong!"

I laughed out loud at that one... Great bow, well done sir! Thanks for sharing.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 01:10:53 pm »
  Looks quick with them stiff outers, nice work on the handle 8)
                                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 01:15:47 pm »
That's a beauty Scott.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:49 pm »
Very nice Scott,  I have learned to like a simple beeswax finish as well.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 01:44:48 pm »
Ok..you said so.... >:D

Chigger!!!

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 01:46:18 pm »
very nice bow. great story. personally i love black locust. was my first bow wood i ever made bows out of. then came elm, then hickory, then ash, then osage. locust is still my favorite. either tiller it perfect or it will fret. teaches you tillering :) , heat bending works great on it. :) sometimes you find a crack in it deep into it. sometimes youll find a delamination of the growthrings. sometimes you go to shave off to one growthring and it will split along the growthring almost the whole way. lol {had that happen once}. best thing it teaches you is patience. its not easy to turn into a bow. but as you see once there, its a beauty.Tony

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 02:15:24 pm »
Nice BL bow Scott

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 02:48:11 pm »
Nice Chris! I like that!  :)

Thanks guys!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 03:49:50 pm »
It's a beauty, I like the grain on that locust and the tip overlays are a looker
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 04:24:49 pm »

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 10:15:48 pm »
Very nice bow!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 10:40:10 pm »
Great work on that BL Scott.  Those overlays look great.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 05:56:29 am »
Nice job Scott, looks good to me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good