Author Topic: Straightening Bannana curve?  (Read 3917 times)

ozark caveman

Straightening Bannana curve?
« on: February 13, 2008, 03:06:31 am »
Hey guy's. I had an excellent piece of osage that had about 5" of reflex in it from tip to tip and it was knot free and straight grained. It's a really super piece of wood but when I popped my center line it looked to be straight until I chopped the bow out and it has a bannana curve. This is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!! Doe's anyone know of a way to remove this curve?

Rich Saffold

Re: Straightening Bannana curve?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:23:47 am »
Is it dry?  In your situation, I'm usually getting it close to bow dimensions and then heating it. In my case I prefer using the stove burner and a little mineral oil on it till it gets hot enough to bend, and I will straighten it over my knee and go a bit past where straight it..Sometimes clamp it, but usually just hold it and then cool it off and let it sit for a day.

Other methods perhaps more popular here include a heat gun, and a form and you can heat it up and tighten the clamp as you go. And this works real good as well..

I just have this wild :o 6 year old so the thought of having a heat gun around make me a touch nervous at this point...

Rich-

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:52:48 am »
Like Rich said you can heat it and it will straighting right out.I use a heat gun and form
but if you don't have one you can do it as he said ,over your knee or clam it to a table or something.Did you pop a line or draw one down the center following the longitudinal grain ?
If you popped a line you may have some run off ,so you really need to be careful bending it
sideways ,it could pop out.Pictures would really help. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

ozark caveman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:40:16 am »
Thanks! i popped a line. I think I have minor run-out. The wood is very straight.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:29:29 pm »
  They are scary Rich. My 6 year old grandson found my heat gun and wanted to burn ants and lizards. I keep them put way up now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:16:48 am »
Eddie, my wife used Pappy's heat gun to dry her hair at the TN classic last year. I kept expecting to see that 3' of blonde hair going up in a fireball.  :o
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 03:22:21 am »
  :D Hillbilly, reading that made my day!