Author Topic: Can you heat/steam bend dry wood?  (Read 5420 times)

Offline snowplow

Can you heat/steam bend dry wood?
« on: October 19, 2015, 09:02:33 am »
Hey guys, I am super new to all this. I am working on a little r/d vine maple bow for my son at the moment. I steam bent the limb tips (which was super cool) not long after I harvested it. Now I am tillering it and it's bone dry. So far so good except the string does not  bisect the center of the handle because I didn't leave enough material on the ends of the limbs to compensate. It's close enough to work for him, but I was hoping to bend the handle a bit.

Can you guys tell me a little about that?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can you heat/steam bend dry wood?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:09:57 am »
I'm not familiar with vine maple but you should be able to steam it to bend. I would seal the back of the area to be steamed with shellac first to prevent checking after it comes out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:00 am »
Yes you can.  I would advise you to steam or dry heat both limbs to be equal to make tillering easy.

Dean

Offline snowplow

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 10:26:50 am »
I was under the impression that you need moisture in the wood to steam or especially for dry heat. Do I need to get it wet or anything. I think I have heard of cooking oil being used too.

How does the heat actually bend the wood and make it set?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 10:59:26 am »
If you steam dry wood you need to seal the back with shellac so it doesn't check as it dries.  Cooking oil works with dry heat(but I'm not sure about with vine maple). Heating wood makes it pliable so you can shape it. Once cooled it should keep most of shape you put into it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 11:34:50 am »
The heat softens the lignins so the wood fibers can move around. I've often wondered if the moisture in steam has anything to do with the bending. Maybe it's just the heat and using steam is a convenient way of making sure you don't get to much. And it's handy to work with.

Offline snowplow

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 12:09:43 pm »
Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 02:09:22 pm »
Try it on a scrap first.

Offline freke

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 04:37:52 pm »
I'm not familiar with vine maple but you should be able to steam it to bend. I would seal the back of the area to be steamed with shellac first to prevent checking after it comes out.

Sorry my english is not enough (SWE), what dose "prevent checking after it comes out" means with other words?

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 06:13:00 pm »
I have successfully steam bent lots of dry wood without protecting the back with no issues.  I do not even think about it.  Just see the steam as another way to transfer the heat to the wood to get it bending.  Sure it changes the moisture content a bit but not to the point where it has checked when it has dried again.  Perhaps only in certain woods? Saying that I only really use white woods.

I know some folk say dry heat for dry wood and some swear that steam should only be used on green wood. Dunno about that one.

Dean

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:36:21 pm »
I just steam bent the reflex kink out of a hickory bendy handle I'm working on, it works very well on dry wood. And is often my go to method for larger imperfections.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline snowplow

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 04:44:56 pm »
Thanks guys! Is there any rule of thumb for how far to 'overbend' to account for spring back when unclamped?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 05:15:07 pm »
prevent checking after it comes out,, means ,,, after you steam it the shellac can help prevent the wood from checking(cracking),,, some woods at some altitudes  or moisture content,,,can crack from being heated with steam,,

there is really no rule for overbend, I would say try a little and if it is not enough try again a little,, better in small increments ,,than taking a chance on breaking or cracking the wood,,

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 05:23:14 pm »
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 06:53:03 pm »
I always error on the "too much" side. After it's cooled for and hour or so unclamp it a see what it does. If it looks like it may be too much give a little pull on it. It will unbend quite easily for a while. I go 20-30% too much. Seems to work for the wood I use. Your results may vary yadda yadda yadda.