Author Topic: sinew backed IPE??  (Read 5580 times)

nvstickbow

sinew backed IPE??
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:24:33 pm »
I just started working on a 72" ntn elb style hickory backed ipe bow t hat I hope to get about 70# out of at 28".  After I got the bow cut out of the piece of ipe that I had I got to thinking that I might have enough left to try a 56" or so 1 1/2" wide at the fades pyramid bow backed with sinew.  Anyone ever try sinew on ipe?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: sinew backed IPE??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:53:17 pm »
 Yup....have made lots of em. It dont need ta be 1 1 /2 " at the fades unless ya want 100 lb. draw weight. ;)..bob

Rich Saffold

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:59:47 pm »
Bob, it would have been great to have a pic of one of those for the article..I haven't made one yet, but the kid has this pile of sinew, and he has a project for his chumash class..I told him to pound out enough for a couple bows, and I would compensate him dearly...

Like feed him :D

Rich-

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:21:15 pm »
Yep, I've made a few.  Works fine.
It's a bit of overkill, though, as ipe is incredibly strong and makes a fine self bow if you get a stave with grain that is very straight.

I do have a sinew-backed ipe bow that has "hinged" in a spot where the grain is a bit wild.  The bow has not broken but it dropped a few lbs in weight and I no longer use it.

I would recommend sinew backing on short ipe bows (54" or less) with very straight grain and 40# draw weight (or less).  Anything heavier than 40# should be backed with something more rigid (or a proportionately thicker layer of sinew).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:27:41 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

nvstickbow

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:01:08 pm »
this is out of a board that I picked up.  looks to have pretty straight grain( as best as I can tell.  Kinda hard to see on ipe.)
I am going back an forth between hickory backing and playing around with the sinew.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:30:54 pm »
......Rich---didnt think of that fer article. Will see ifn I can dig up a picture of one and post it.  ;)                                                                                                                                                                                           Ipe is stronger in compression as we all know and a bit less in tension. I dont think ya can find anything stronger than sinew ta back it with or any wood with fer that matter. I have made bows from 62 " down ta 44 " backin' with sinew, pullin' from 52 lbs up ta as high as 85 lbs. Like said ya need  more courses on the short bows an heavy draw weight bows. Its not overkill ifn thats what ya want. Now that ipe has become popular its probably harder ta find straight grain wood in lumberyards and such.....................bob                                                     

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 11:19:26 pm »
I agree Bob, years ago when I wrote the first article on ipe, virtually every board would make a selfbow since the trees cut were larger, and thus straighter wood..Now I have to look a bit more..

Rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:28:41 pm »
   I can tell the difference between what Bob gave me and what I traded for recently that came from California.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:27:55 am »
The most interesting aspect of ipe is the variety. When we talk of osage and yew for example they are each a species. With ipe there is 100 and probably more sub-species..Most dense enough to sink when dry, but not all. And the colors run from a tan, or very light greyish brown to nearly black.I have used ipe which is almost red, and it was some lively stuff.

I calculated that there us usually a half mile of ipe in the local yard when they re-stock the racks. The variety of color in these boards can keep me there for an hour checking them out..It's a good thing they know me because fellow customers probably think I'm a little obsessive.. ::) ;D

Rich

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 04:31:38 am »
Richard, what do you think of the ipe that puts out the yellow powder when rasping? I have kind of a preference for it and seems to be the most common variety. Steve

Rich Saffold

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 01:35:51 pm »
Steve, That is what I like to see as well. Sometimes I see green dust, and its also a good sign..