Author Topic: tiller advice  (Read 2459 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
tiller advice
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:56:09 am »
Hi All,

this little yew stick currently draws 29# at 24", measures 50# ntn; a straight stick, flat oval cross-section, with a bump for a bend-through handle.  The handle isn't very bendy.  The top limb is bending  more than the lower limb just above the fades (I think); so do I make the handle shorter, or put more more flex into the handle or reduce the area around the big knot .  All advice really welcome as this is frying my tiny mind..........

Offline le0n

Re: tiller advice
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:13:23 pm »
my thoughts:

i'd clamp it down flat and heat the belly of that hinge area to help stiffen it up. let it rest a few days then reduce the limb thickness at that knot.

you still may have to put more bend in the handle to reduce the stress in the treated area.

good luck.

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:14:11 pm »
I hate to sound too negative, but I doubt that one will last much longer. I see a severe hinge just above your handle area, and not much bend anywhere else. I'm not sure it could be saved without drastically reducing the draw weight which is quite low already. My advice would be to start another, go slow, and post your progress often so we can help you along.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »
Yeah, basically I'm with Jo5h, lower limb is ok, upper limb has all the bend just above the grip.
If you ease off the outer half of the upper limb, then reduce the lower to match, you'll have V little draw weight left.
BUT it's still a worth while exercise for the experience.
Better to end up with 15# of even draw than a broken stick.
You could measure the thickness at regular intervals along each limb and check you have an even thickness taper. See how the lower and upper limbs compare.
If you consider it as scrap, but a good learning tool, you may end up with a cool little bow.
If you press on expecting a cool little bow, you'll probably end up disappointed.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 12:46:27 pm »
My 11 year old daughter really fancies it, and she can only draw 15# at 20", so it could be viewed as being really overweight  >:D, and I am looking on all my early bows as learning experiences - I have some very lovely yew I'm keeping until I have learned enough not to ruin it....

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 11:30:21 pm »
If you're thinking about giving it to a child then you definitely need to get the tiller spot on. The last thing you want is a yew bow blowing up in your daughters face.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 06:49:46 pm »
I think heating the belly as suggested is a positive approach,,,, even the tiller up and see what you have(before you give up on that piece of wood),,, dont leave it pulled on the tiller tree,, this will just aggravate the tiller issue,, if you get the tiller good and even,,,, and the limb is not showing damage at the hinge spot,,as stated,, a light bow with even tiller,,and shorter draw has a chance of working,, if you want to increase the weight at that point there are options that could fine tune the bow,, :)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:38:10 pm »
Hi Guys,

have decided to continue tillering the stick and see what comes out at the end - am going to make the handle fully bend-through though as I think that should allow the stress in the top limb to be spread out over a longer area: will post update soon.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: tiller advice - update
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 11:20:14 am »
Hi All,

so this is the new tiller, all advice welcome.  Draw weight is now 20# at 24" but the bow actually shoots at least 10 yards further than when it was 10# heavier; I guess that's because now the whole length of the bow is bending, instead of just the weak point in the centre?

Offline le0n

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »
that's looking a lot better (and safer).

out of curiosity, did you you to apply any heat to it?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »
Not applied any heat yet, probably will later though - neither of the kids can draw the bow, so that leaves me free to tinker with it - not sure if the tips need to be softer - most of the problem bend was reduced by putting more bend into the handle.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »
You must have a very tolerant wife, tillering on the carpet, stuckinthemud. Don't try the heat treating there, though!  :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »
mmmm, will be in HUGE trouble if caught but she's in work and we have an excellent vacuum cleaner >:D

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 02:12:49 pm »
Looks better, but still way too much bend in the handle and almost zero bend in the limbs.
Don't touch your handle area anymore, just get those limbs in the mix

Offline le0n

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 03:28:36 pm »
^^ this.

i'm not sure what the dimensions are, but depending on the width of the limbs in relation to the handle area, you may try slightly narrowing the limbs near the tips to get them to bend a little more.