Author Topic: My First Bow  (Read 4191 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: My First Bow
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 11:51:02 pm »
It just ain't fair, you new guys making bow that are perfectly tillered and look spectacular. 20 years ago my first bow looked like I hacked it out with a broad ax and tillered it with a chainsaw.

All kidding aside, you made a very fine bow, great job!

I credit the good help and information from people like you, Eric, that have helped many of us avoid beginner mistakes that we would have made had we had to learn on our own.  without the help, I doubt I would have even tried.  Thanks to all the masters that have paved the way for us beginners.  Nice bow Mr. Later

Offline Siyah Later

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 08:04:34 am »
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and compliments!  I never would have gotten into making bows and I wouldn't have been successful at it if it weren't for all of the great information online, including the posts on this forum. 

It just ain't fair, you new guys making bow that are perfectly tillered and look spectacular. 20 years ago my first bow looked like I hacked it out with a broad ax and tillered it with a chainsaw.

I think the successful tillering of the bow was largely due to my use of the tillering gizmo, so I have you to thank for that.

Very nice! I'm with you, half the fun is making all the jigs and tools. Or maybe I'm just too cheap to buy them :-[

It's a healthy mix of being cheap and enjoying building things :)

Yup, welcome to the addiction.
No shortage of things to make, fletching jigs, string making jigs, tapering planer, tools to drill conical holes in horn for nocks...
I even bought and refurbished a small lathe so I can make flight arrow points :)

Oh no, I don't need any more reasons to want a lathe; I already wanted one before I started making bows!

cool ...
which pattern had the board ... i mean the rings where standing or lying....

maybe you would like to post a picture of the board too ...

The board had grain that was pretty straight on all four sides.  There were a few runouts but not too many.  There's a picture of it in the blog post I linked to in my original post.

Offline ekalavya

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 09:55:17 am »
@Siyah...
I got it. Those "standing rings" without run outs seem to be quite common with
board bows ....
Unfortunately where I live I could only get spruce boards ... but it had the same grain ...

I suppose you paper backed this bow too as shown in the link.