Author Topic: Privet Sapling UPDATE  (Read 6929 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Privet Sapling UPDATE
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:49:34 pm »
This sapling was cut 2 years ago.  Its oval in cross section with the long part of oval in line with the curve of the sapling.  This thing has loads of pin knots.  It does have less pin knots on the inside of curve which i would make the back to have reflex from the start.  The sapling is 1 3/8" on thick end and 1 1/4" on thin end.  Im not necessarily looking for a hunting bow just want to try my hand at it.  Maybe get 40-45 lb draw at 28".  Do you guys think this sapling is even worth messing with given the dimensions and pin knots?  How long should I keep it?  Its about 8 ft long as is haha.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:39:35 pm by CherokeeKC »
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Privet Sapling opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:57:32 pm »
Privet is supposed to be very simaler to red oak as bow wood. I'd go for a full width 65in+ bendy handle bow.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 09:03:13 pm »
I found privet to be excellent !  On Par with Lilac, Serviceberry , and Hop Hornbeam . Very dense . To be fair , the piece I had was about the same size as yours and had  40-50 growth rings. Northern climate.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:35:24 pm »
Well then, I'll have to give privet some thought next time I run into a row of the stuff!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 09:50:52 pm »
Yes sir there's a bow in there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 09:56:28 pm »
Ok thanks guys.  I guess once i decide on length i should keep the width throughout each limb until the tips?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 10:13:13 pm »
Yes till about the last 12"

Offline ekalavya

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 03:40:00 am »
already done ... but i do not think it is necessary to let such a thin sapling dry for so long ....

anyway it's done and doesn't matter any more

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 06:43:17 am »
Ekalavya i didnt keep it this long to dry it.  Life just became busy and I have not gotten to it.

I will post pics along the way of the progress
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 08:21:53 am »
Bubby i just searched the forum for privet bows and saw the one you made earlier in year.  Awesome bow!  How wide and deep did you keep your tips?  What diameter sapling was that?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 08:45:15 am »
Cherokee I think at the handle it was 1-3/8" and i left that the natural size, i narrowed the tips a ft from the tips to 1/2" and after i was done they are around 3/8" i steamed in the recurves

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 09:09:39 am »
I have tons in my yard I need to get rid of. I will be watching. Please be extra clear on the roughing out and dimensions. I would love to try one.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 11:27:22 am »
  Heck yeah, go for it.  Cut out the best part of the stave at least as tall as your eyebrow if you can get it and make a flatbow with a small handle, parallel sides out to 2/3 the limb, and with or without a tiny reflex or flipped tips.

I have never used privet, but similar looking plum, mulberry, elm, serviceberry, chokecherry, and hawthorn staves have netted me decent bows, some pretty stout, and some that had to settle for 38 lb depending on the wood and how things went.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 11:38:13 am »
The one i built was about 1-3/8" at the center i made a four in. handle and 1-1/2" fades i reduced the limbs to the pith and clamped it to a board after spraying the back with several coats of lacquer and it was 60" long

Offline ekalavya

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 05:24:26 pm »
@Cherokee

The same with me. Most of time my staves are just laying around in my appartment ,
my cellar ,  my parent's home ....

and then i got some spoon of motivation and yet another bow is made and then i shoot
thirty shots with it until a dog steals my quiver

i can not work under pressure and i think that really kills bow making ...

even today i worked for almost two hours just to get 4" more draw out of a stave which
is lying around since september .... anyway not so bad a result when i compare it to my last
ash bow were i used the caliper all the time  .... (at least i did not much of usually tillering)

i think making bows secretly makes it faster ... no one wants that much comments on an
unfinished stave ...

as for your stave ... if it's not straight ... there are many ways to straighten ....
google "Saplingturnier 2014" (sapling tournament 2014) ... just to see which impossible
something can get a bow which at least draws 35#@28" ... ((within less than 70 days or
so , cause that's in the rules))

one of them was even a privet (Liguster in German) and i think the guy who made it
was an artist .... so they saw a reason to propose his disqualifaction for that