Author Topic: mussle shell  (Read 7839 times)

Offline butch

mussle shell
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:15:41 pm »
does anyone know how to remove the dark outer part from the pearl inner side of a large freshwater mussle. i tried torch,boiling,sanding,grinding,prying,powerbrush. i dont want to damage the inner part.  perhaps an acid or akali. thanks.. ??? ???

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: mussle shell
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:41:42 am »
I've made a couple pendants from big freshwater mussel shells. I've usually used the very non-paleo dremel tool with a sanding drum method, but I did mostly grind one out on sandstone. When you get through the dark part, it's almost translucent. You won't get the pearly effect on the back of the piece, but it's still on the front.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline butch

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:28 am »
thanks hillbilly, trying to keep the pearl and allthe little ridges. think ill try murriatic on a cloth to thin it and then alternate boiling and freezing. it pops off naturally on the creek beds but it takes time.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:07:38 am »
Illegal to harvest or posses them in Michigan :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dingleberry

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:10:17 pm »
Like Hillbilly said.  Those layers can be used to age a mussel, or any bivalve, just as you would for an otolith from a fish.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:13:34 pm »
In Indiana, we haven't been allowed to harvest them for several years due to over harvesting in the past. We always boiled them sacked them and then sold them. I would think a metal sanding drum on a drill would work? Anyone use them for strike plates? I know that General Motors bought them to decorate the interiors of Cadilacs; door lock knobs, gear shift lever knob and dashboard inlays.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Dingleberry

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »
Back in the day, they were used for buttons (harvested in huge quantities) before synthetics were invented.

Offline Postman

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:30:59 pm »
y'all might be able to find some introduced nuisance stuff like zebra mussels to use
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33:53 pm »
Who wants zebra muscle shells, how many tons ya want???
They aren't big enough for anything except maybe as a gravel replacement. Lake Michigan shorelines are 6 feet deep with them in some areas :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:26:23 am »
hey dana, i went channel cat'n out on the lake "huron" and with all those dammned shells it sounded like thousands of tiny wind chimes blowin in the wind every time a wave came in!

almost spooky.but hurts the bare paws!

mbg

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:47:13 pm »
ooh, dana, i feel ya. watched a special on em a while back. looks like yall are gonna have to nuke the hole lake and start over to get rid of em!
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:05:50 pm »
Yea we can't harvest any muscles in the SW either.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

gene roberts

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »
I'm guessing a dremmel tool. But I don't know.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 11:38:16 pm »
I use them for inlays .I am repeatedly reminded to only grind on them under water ,Because the dust is very very bad for your lungs .  :o

Ralph