Author Topic: A Shout Out to Vets  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Zuma

A Shout Out to Vets
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:25:03 am »
This morning a good friend sent me an email
thanking me for my service.
 I'd like to thank all my BROTHERS and SISTERS
 and thier families and friends with us or gone.
Thank you all
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A Shout Out to Vets
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:38:26 am »
Awesome pic Zuma, your a bad ass. Thanks to you and all that served and still serve.

This one of the most emotional days of my year. I'm one of those slightly over the top patriot types that fully understands and appreciates every effort given in every war we have fought as a nation. I immerse myself in it and learn all I can every chance I can. I watch all the Iwo Jima programs just hoping to see gramps in one them. It was a 2.5 x 5.5 mile island, the man had to have a camera sweep past him right? :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 11:18:13 am »

To all of you who are Veterans, Thank you for your service! I hope this day is special to you in some way. I thank you for your service. I have no family history of service in the military. As I get older and watch my family grow, I become more aware of the sacrifice that you and others made for our country. Not just the soldiers but the families of those who don't come back. That life long sacrifice of a missing family member, and the issues that many soldiers deal with the rest of their lives, becomes clearer to me. Because of you, and people like you, people like me, have the freedoms we do here in the United States of America.
 Thank you for your service and sacrifice.
 Happy Veterans Day to you!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:50:03 am »
Cool pic zuma happy vet's day to all who served and those that enjoy the freedom they defended, good luck pearls hope you get a glimpse of your hero😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 11:57:44 am »
 I'm not a vet. My older brother served in Viet Nan and my Dad was with the Judge Advocate Corp in WWII. I have all the respect, admiration and gratification to everyone that has and are now serving our country.  Happy Veteran's Day!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 04:30:13 pm »
Thanks fellas for your thoughts.
It's nice hear about your family members.
A half century ago. I was one of the
fortunate ones. My dad brothers and I
have about 80years in. The two squirts
 are still at it.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:03:44 am »
Don, your picture today brought back many memorys from a time long ago, I have alot of pics of the Nam need to dig them out. I can still taste and smell that country. I was just a pawn in there game.  :(  Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:05:26 am »
That was a long time for me as well,48 years.  I watched a PBS special about the Marines fighting on Iwo Jima.  That showed the veterans from both countries going back for a visit which is allowed on just one day a year. I watched it in the family room, alone and in the dark.  That's how my wife knows I need some private time.  I can proudly say I shed a tear as those brave and heroic Marines told their stories.

I then called my Marine buddy who took a head shot in Viet Nam and thanked him for his service.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:39:24 am by JEB »

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 01:32:50 pm »
Bob  :)we will have to get our pic together sometime.
Still not sure, you are USAF or other?

Jeb :)
I was just trying to get myself back from the dying Condors
and send you a thanks on email. So I'll do it here Brother.
Thank you, Leatherneck. I know what you mean about the
family room. Things didn't bother me so much until I went to
 DC for the wall dedication. Man that was hard. I was kinda
pissed that they had a Japanese woman design it.
But woo o was I wrong.
My dad past before they got the WW!! memorial finished.
We need to have a therapy knapin. Or lobotomys :laugh:

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 01:52:32 pm »
Don, SeaBees

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 02:14:19 pm »

Cool picture.  Now I know how old you are!  I was in the Army.  My Brother was also, and he went to Nam.  He was in the operating engineers.  Still went on patrols.
His buddy, that he went to school with, was in Hue.  my Brother was in Ahn Khe.  I was in Seatle/Tacoma waiting for my flight to go to Nam, when the night before, My appendix went out.  All my orders, said i was going, but I just had this feeling, that I was not going.  But also, that if I did I wasn't coming back.    But I spent a while, at Madigan general hospital, and got new orders to Ft. Lee, Va.  Were you working on the avionics?  I have a Friend that I went to school with, that was in the Air Force, and I think he was stationed in Taiwan, or somewhere, like that, any way, he said that he was sent to Nam, to work on a jet engine, and they drove him out to this plane, and he went to work on the engine, but the guys in the jeep, stopped, him, and walked around the plane, and there was a burst of shots, and he saw them pulling a viet cong out of the engine.  He had a long piece of wire, with a handle, and sharp point.  They told him, that they would hide in the engine, and when someone went to inspect the engine, they would jab them with the piece of wire, and whip it around, and make a nasty and fatal internal wound.  He said he fixed the engine, and then went back to Taiwan, or wherever he was stationed.  Glad I did not make it over there.  Had some friends, who didn't come back.  Were you in the Air Force?  I wish I had gone in the Air Force, but I didn't get the chance, since I was drafted, then like an idiot, re upped for another year, to get into crypto school.  Anyway, thanks for your service, and glad you made it back.

Wayne

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 08:33:05 pm »
INDEED! I had a program last night and added two slide for Veterans Day and payed TAPS on my cedar flute. If you would like to hear a version of TAPS look up charles littleleaf on the tube. There is also a Native Womens Color guard you can look at on google.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 11:45:41 pm »
Sugar, Bob wasn't that like being an unarmed marine?

Stick give your brother a hand shake from us.
And then take one from us for being there for him.
I was a communication missile guidance and navagational
aid technician.
US  Air Force

Thanks Ben
My dad used to put me and my brothers to sleep with
da ta da, da, ta, da  Go to sleep, go to sleep Lol

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 02:42:48 pm »
Don, let's put it this way, The Marines covered are a-- more than once.  I was in the Navy for 3 yrs 2 months an some odd days, I spent about 4 hrs on a barage tied up in the river, yep total sea time, I don't know port from aft or bow from stern but I bet I could still tear down and put back togeather an M 16 in under 3 min. Even got to spend some time in Camp Pendelton and never did see Surfer Joe.  :D  Bob

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 03:49:03 pm »
That was a long time for me as well,48 years.  I watched a PBS special about the Marines fighting on Iwo Jima.  That showed the veterans from both countries going back for a visit which is allowed on just one day a year. I watched it in the family room, alone and in the dark.  That's how my wife knows I need some private time.  I can proudly say I shed a tear as those brave and heroic Marines told their stories.

I then called my Marine buddy who took a head shot in Viet Nam and thanked him for his service.

I watched that one to Jon, it ripped me up the same. One thing I will say. Gramps is gone now, but no way in hell would he go back to that island and no way would he ever want to meet or shake hands with his counterpart, ever. He held a nasty grudge until the day he passed and I don't blame him. The stories I was told by him just made my jaw drop and my head spin. I'm one of 3 or 4 people on the planet that was fortunate enough to hear my gramps reiterate his entire tour. We went bear hunting in NB fall of 2003. Its a 24-25 hour ride. On the way home he broke down and dad and I cried with him for hours while we drove. The best part was hearing the details and trying my best to get in gramps boots for a few hours and feel with him. He is and ALWAYS will be my hero, my life guide, my compass, my strength and my courage.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.