Author Topic: Sources for wood shafting  (Read 11150 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Sources for wood shafting
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 08:49:37 pm »
Yea that's tough with that crappy weather for hunting.Unless you got a blind you'll get soaked.Old surewood shafts did you right then.....good.He'll pick them out individually.Not like these other places.I bought some sitka spruce from hildebrand once too. I footed them with purpleheart.Pretty but still a little too lightweight for me.What I like about those douglas firs and spruce is that will stay straight for ya too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:34 am »
If you're into making your own arrows, here's a "how-to" that I did some time ago for a VERY simple router jig.

One very important modification though, make the entry hole 9/16" diameter for 3/8" square stock as opposed to the 23/32" (18mm) entry hole for 1/2" square stock. The 1/2" version was forcing the router to remove too much wood at once and it had a tendency to tear out wood if the wood was brittle (like Douglas Fir).

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=44952.0

"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 07:11:59 pm »
Thanks there woodenspring,and your persistence.Like a few fellas before us here I've seen some other plans before too.Yours looks nice.Wonder if it would reduce the time making dogwood sapling shafts too.Don't see why it would'nt.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 01:47:00 pm »
Thanks there woodenspring,and your persistence.Like a few fellas before us here I've seen some other plans before too.Yours looks nice.Wonder if it would reduce the time making dogwood sapling shafts too.Don't see why it would'nt.

Persistence? Yeah, I'm like that little piece of corn that you get stuck in your teeth that no matter what you do or how hard you try, it just never seems to go away.   ;)
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3