Author Topic: sassafrass  (Read 3183 times)

Offline chessieboy

sassafrass
« on: February 16, 2008, 01:30:31 am »
Just cut up a tree that had been uprooted.  It looked good until we split it.  It has many knots and limbs that had been covered over.  I'm going to try an ELB which is what I've read as the preferred design for sas. but should I leave the sapwood on or take it off?  The wood sure is purdy and the sapwood is only 1/2" thick over most of it.  I should have enough to piggyback split it so I'll make one with sapwood and one without but wanted your opinions anyway.

Bill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sassafrass
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 02:13:06 am »
I just read an old PA magazine(vol. 9, iss. 3, Fall 2001) with an article by Tim Baker; Bow Woods, Part II. Tim suggest that sap wood isn't bad and is usually stronger in tension than heartwood. I have found with osage, mulberry and other woods, a little sapwood, if properly handled after harvest, works well on a bow. He does suggest that sassafras along with ERC and cherry are tension weak woods but if properly designed and tillered will make a bow that will out shoot heavier woods bows(due to physical weight). He also suggests a slightly rounded belly for these lighter woods.
   One of the first bows I ever made was a sass bow. I have a small diameter(6") tree picked out to cut for bows but haven't cut it yet. Looking forward to seeing your bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 10:52:41 am »
Sapwood on for sass. Just be sure your design fits the stave. I'm not sure an elb is the best design for a knotted character stave. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

ozark caveman

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:42:36 pm »
Dude. One of my favorite bows I ever made was a 70# 70" long 3" wide sassafrass. The wood was so pleasant to work because of the smell and really light to hold but it sure was a performer. I over built it because it was my first sassafrass bow but I think I could bring down those dimensions some. Even at those dimensions it was really cool to look at. I coulda used it as a paddle :D I'm gonna get a pic of it if I can locate the friend that I sold it to.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 09:17:29 pm »
Removing sapwood is a great question until you look at how thin the rings are. Sure put that idea out of my head fast ;D.

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 09:25:32 pm »
i went wood hunting today. the woods behind my house is full of sassafras but i couldnt find a long straight peice :'(
i want to make a bow from it because the heartwood is pretty and the contrast between heart and sapwood would(no pun intened ;D) look really cool and it would smell nice
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:23:52 pm »
If you are willing to work with billets Im sure you could find one long enough.
                                                                Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 03:31:17 pm »
Cut one down this morning, David, and founf that you have to look for "straight-ish" ;). But it is also SO nice to work. Makes all that hickory and oak look like beasts :D!