Author Topic: Beginner's instructions  (Read 4587 times)

doskil

Beginner's instructions
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:31:22 pm »
What books, videos, DVDs, papers, ect are the one's reccomended by this site for a beginning bowyer.

Thanks much

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Beginner's instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:05:59 pm »
An absolute must is Traditional Bowyers Bible 1.  I would recommend the entire set though.  Hunting the Osage Bow is also good. You can pick them all up at Horsefeathers Ranch. http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/books.htm
You can probably find TBB 1 at your local library.  I recommend that you ask for help here when building your bow, there is no substitute for interactive help.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:09:46 pm »
The Bent Stick is pretty good too. Not as much science as TBB, but definately geared toward the beginner getting agood white wood bow in their hands.

And all the people on here ;D.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:54:23 pm »
Justins recomondations are indeed great ones,but for an absolute begginer,id haft to agree with Kegan.The Bowyers bible,and Torges book,may be a bit too much info overload.I would also recomend the Bent Stick.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 09:57:58 pm »
Take a look on Jawge's site some good stuff.

http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:07:23 pm »
Justins recomondations are indeed great ones,but for an absolute begginer,id haft to agree with Kegan. I would also recomend the Bent Stick.
You know I have never read that one.  I guess I better get my hands on a copy.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:12:24 pm »
Justin Its a good one very direct and and straight to the point. Was my first bow book.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Bishop

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 10:15:03 pm »
a subscription to Primitive Archer and the books mentioned along with the people on this forum will take you a long way.
Bishop

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 11:05:55 pm »
Most importantly and the one that will probly help you the most is the people on this site and spend a little time reading some of the other threads on this site about bows. I can almost guarentee that any problem you will run into has already been discussed on here. Just my 2 pennies worth. Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 01:51:53 am »
I have All of the Books so far Listed ...plus I would recommend BOWS AND ARROWS OF THE NATIVE AMERICANS by Jim Hamm.....and .... CHEROKEE BOWS AND ARROWS by Al Herrin
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 04:42:53 pm »
Jimm Hamm's book, Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans describes bows that push design limits- short and narrow, requireing Osage and sinew, and seems to still have some of the old thoughts on bow building. The Bent Stick is more of an "Idiots' Guide to Bow Building" though. He covers many "first designs" and gives both a description and an illustration of a very nice over-built Meare Heathe style bow.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 07:06:04 pm »
I agree Kegan. The bent Stick is a great value.

Manistique, MI

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 09:20:37 pm »
Another good book is the FLAT BOW by hunt and metz, saw it was available from Northwest Archery Co. when I was checking out some of the advertisers of PA. Had my copy along time. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

doskil

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 01:39:43 pm »
Thanks a lot

I have already learned a lot from Primitve Archer and this board