Beech
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:33:04 pm »
How is beech for a bow wood?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline DanaM

Re: Beech
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:51:10 pm »
Medium ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 10:28:38 pm »
I have seen scores of info requests like this over the past 5 plus years of board watching and have never seen a beech bow posted.  I'd like to see a trial.

Dave

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 10:40:59 pm »
How is beech for a bow wood?

Most likely too gnarly and knobby for bow wood.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 10:56:42 pm »
I have a beech stave drying eventually I will try it. it only twists about 120 degrees ;D

I see beech that looks so nice and straight but when ya split it, it always seems to corkscrew around the trunk.
Good firewood though ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 11:06:59 pm »
st louis has used it and said it was very good. ive had no experience with it though

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 12:15:30 am »
My dad was up north and he said he'd try and cut me a stave when after its done seasoning i guess ill try it.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 02:20:46 pm »
The lumber is pretty available.  I suppose a slat backed with maple would work well

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:58:23 pm »
Most likely too gnarly and knobby for bow wood.
Actualy nothing could be farther from the truth here. Beech is about one of the straightest easiest to get tree's you could find around here. I cut a few staves of it when I was first starting building bows and didnt know what I was doing, but I think They all got ruined from being out in the weather to long if I remember right. So I've never really tried it as a bow wood, I would suspect it wouldnt be much diferant then oak or ash.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 05:50:34 pm »
We saw  beech once in a while at work. It's a lot like sycamore. I don't think it's very tough. 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 06:07:17 pm »
I've made about 4 bows out of Beech and all survived. I would rate the wood alongside White Ash. This is the only Beech bow I have pictures of, I don't own the bow anymore but so far as I know it still lives. It's a Powhatan replica

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline richpierce

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 06:26:55 pm »
Beech is very tough and strong and was commonly used for making wooden bodies for planes (planing wood).  it is hard to season w/o checking.

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 10:11:50 pm »
A friend that I'm learning to make bows from just made a bow from Beech and was very pleased . I'm in the process also of working on a stave of beech which is in bow form at the present , and all the straves I have -none check at all -and the stave I'm working on-after bring it down to bow form , I put it in a form to add some reflex and when dried in this form for over 5 mnoths there also was no checking whatsoever - but I did seal the ends down about 8" with latex paint . I'll post pic's when complete.
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

wvfknapper

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:32:14 pm »
The beech we have here is very straight and clean, most of the big trees are hollow... From what I have seen locally, when the loggers cut on private land like coal companies,  the coal companies put it in the contract that the loggers have to cut the hollow beech due to insect infestation, and the loggers most times just leave the wood to rot if it's too big for chip wood,,  if a person could get in one of these places and talk to the loggers he could get a gob of free beech staves  ;)

wvflintknapper

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 11:34:52 pm »
thanks WV, i think i might try that. up north a ways there's a lot of logging maybe i could ask. but, i cant split a huge tree(no chain saw or big table saw." :)
Modern Day Tramp