Author Topic: Thumb side rest  (Read 1817 times)

Offline MXer

Thumb side rest
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:19:30 pm »
Does anyone shoot from the thumb side? 

Offline PatM

Re: Thumb side rest
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:43:06 pm »
If you mean because they are shooting with a thumb loose probably just a few of the hornbow guys. If you mean regular draw and still off the thumb one guy on here does that.

Offline MXer

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:49:10 pm »
Yeah,  I mean just a regular draw but arrow on the right hand of the bow if the bow is held in the left hand.

Is it unconventional to do that?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:56:50 pm »
Well like I said there is one guy, two if you shoot that way. 15 years ago there was another guy that shot like that.
That's unconventional to me.

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:42:48 pm »
I wouldn't want to do that unless I had my hand upside down drawing the string with fingers. it's possible but it doesn't make a lot of sense because of how the hand torques the string I think.

I saw a youtube video of someone speed shooting pretty fast by putting the arrow on the thumb side and doing a 3 finger draw with the palm of the hand facing out

I shoot both self bows and synthetic "horn" bows with thumb draw, arrow on thumb side, leather glove reinforced on the thumb. No rest, I just nock higher. Maybe too high.. Got a pretty decent group with my 71" 30lb hickory flatbow at 20 yards the other day. Wish I could practice more.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:46:24 pm by loon »

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:52:05 pm »
I have tried it but missed very wide. I dont believe its wrong and ic you carry your arrows in hand i think its a smart way to shoot. I think it would make wrist slap hurt more.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:58:25 pm »
I have tried it but missed very wide. I dont believe its wrong and ic you carry your arrows in hand i think its a smart way to shoot. I think it would make wrist slap hurt more.
The only time that's happened to me was with a 5.5" or so brace height on my long hickory flatbow, with a B-50 string. It went beyond brace height, slapping on my wrist and eventually giving me a nice big bruise. Raising the brace height to 6.5" solved that problem completely. I've gotten arm slapped (not on wrist) with short bows and thumb draw but it's pretty rare... and also with low brace height.

Either way, I never wear an arm guard and it's happened a whole lot less than shooting the 'normal way'. Apparently if you shoot with a loose bow grip, arrow on thumb side, the bow can rotate outward away from the arm sometimes just from the arrow pushing against it, but I've only done that by applying torque with the smaller bow hand fingers.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:02:36 pm by loon »

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 11:35:52 pm »
Well maybe i will do a little sbooting like this and see what happens.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:06:46 pm »
It is, I believe in Kyudo. But also the Yumi bow is very special, and I think it rotates completely around in the left hand after the shot so the string comes around to the other side. That's what I understand about it anyway.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:13:01 pm by PlanB »
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 04:06:35 pm »
I shoot thumb ring so I do shoot of the draw hand side of the bow...