Author Topic: Target Panic; group therapy  (Read 9849 times)

Offline PeteC

Target Panic; group therapy
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:05:36 pm »
Anyone else out there interested in starting a "group therapy" for target panic. I'm willing to share some things that have helped me,and I'd like to know how others find ways to cope with the affliction.  I have shot the barebow now for 52 years,getting my first real longbow when I was 6.I never had any formal lessons, and learned some basics from my dad.I learned to shoot pretty good,and had no problems until a few years ago,when I realized I could not draw an arrow without releasing it.(I could'nt just"let down" the string after hitting full draw). I thought it was odd,but I was still hitting what I aimed at. About 3 years ago I realized I had  a problem. Upon hitting full draw,I "locked up" off of target,then,when trying to point,my release would "go off",whether I was on target  or not. That was about the first time I heard the name,"target panic",and realized a lot of folks were struggling with it. I read every article I could find on the subject,and tried many "cures",but nothing worked for me.Then, last year,I read 2 pieces that approached the "disease" as a "Form" issue,that, because of poor form,mutated into an "Organic" mental condition,that if left un-checked,becomes a chronic problem. These articles changed the way I approached my problem.  To begin,I had to concentrate on good form,then convince myself that I had a strong enough "will" to release the bowstring when I wanted to,and not when my sub-conscience said to. My personal success came when I asked myself a question when I hit full draw. " What am I going to do with it now?" This simple change of thought processes allows me to point at my spot,increase my back pressure,then answer my own question by either letting down the string,or a crisp release. I still have target panic,but, if I practice this method, coupling good form with the "self aimed question",my confidence has soared this past year,and my shooting is at a level I'm happy with.  I realize this description is pretty vague,but that would be where the group therapy comes in. If there is already one of these things going on ,let me know,we can drop this one.   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline PeteC

Re: Target Panic; group therapy
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:14:28 pm »
Wow,that's great.I figured somebody else might have the problem as well. Guess not.            God Bless

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 12:58:48 pm »
Give it some time, things can move a little slow around here sometimes. I've never had the issue but I'm still new enough to my style of shooting (thumb ring and horse bow) that I'm still consciously thinking about everything I'm doing, in fact my issue is usually thinking too much, lol

Offline jimmy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:47:22 am »
My name is Jimmy and I am a bowaholic and I suffer from target panic.  Most of my target panic comes when I'm hunting.  I think it is more subversive or subliminal when I am target shooting.  When I'm hunting deer, especially in the early season having not seen one in a while, I pretty much freak out inside when one starts walking towards me.  I get to where I feel like I can barely breath and my heart feels like it is going to burst.  It is serious target panic.  If they mill around for a while, and I can get a good look at them, I get used to them and calm down quite a bit.  I wonder if they feel the same way?  Later in the season, if I've seen a lot of deer, I get much more comfortable around them.  Overall, in a hunting situation, I don't believe there is a cure, unless you can somehow teach yourself to control your emotions.  As far target shooting, I don't know when I am panicking and when I'm just distracted.  It is more deep down inside, very psychological.  I seem to best when my mind is totally blank and I feel like I'm staring a hole into the target.  It is literally "getting into the zone".  I haven't figured out how to channel this.  If we could, we would all be giving ol' Howard Hill a run for his money.  It is the same way with me when I play pool.  Usually decent, but every once in a blue moon, you get "into the zone".  This tells me it is possible to be "that good", but it is extremely psychological.  Of course, all the physical techniques and  consistencies are very necessary.  So as far as an overall cure, I haven't found it, but I'm still looking for it.  It all has to do with controlling one's emotions. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:54:33 am by jimmy »

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 12:52:24 pm »
A few years ago,when I first realized there was a problem,it only affected my practice. I had enough concentration during a hunt to make a clean shot. However as time passed,(and confidence waned),it crept its way into my  hunting as well. I think part of is that I strive to shoot "perfect",and if  I miss even by a couple of inches at 20 yards,I'm very hard on myself, and I believe this is a major contributing factor to TP. I agree with you Jimmy that TP in incurable,and that one must always practice with that in mind,and follow a regimen to keep your mind in the place where you can control your shot. As I first mentioned.unless I override my sub-conscience,every single shot,with my "question", "what now",I'm in danger of releasing early.  Thanks for responding.  God Bless

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 07:07:03 pm »
I practice close most the time,, and my hunting shots are close,,,, that raises my confidence,, I dont compete any more .. I am happy just being hunter,, that was my whole reason competing in the first place to become a better hunting shot,,I practice my form, pulling through the shot,, I have a floating anchor, this was slow in coming,, but shooting the short hunting bows I like( ala Jay Massey),, I evolved into how I shoot now,, at 62, I have the confidence to shoot the way I like,, need no ones validation,,, just the deer laying there dead,, if my shot is a few inches off, I go closer,,, the few times I do shoot further,, my form is good and it is an easy transition,,, but I like to shoot at deer 15 yards and under,, so my practice is easy,, I feel like I should be able to hit the kill of a deer at that range , even with no practice,, and probably can,, but I love to shoot, so I try to pick up my bow often,, I vary rarely blow a shot when I pull through the shot,, if I stop to aim to long,, that is when things go wrong for me,, I can do it,, but not my preferred way to shoot,, I like to aim the whole time I am drawing the bow ,, so when I get to full draw I can pull through the shot and I am dead on,,  I know that sounds easy,, or over simplified,, but I think shooting or practicing close is under rated,, if we all hit or skillet shot or close ones, the freezer would be full most time,, Right??? I guess my main point is,, you can practice out past 100 yards if you like it, but if you want to kill deer,, close practice,, consistent form will get the job done,, :) confidence is very key

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 07:39:36 am »
I agree with you Brad.Close practice is essential for building confidence in all shooting situations.If you cant hit the spot at 10 yards your sure
not going to hit it at 30 yards. I'm like you in the sense that I've shot a long time,and I like to shoot,but I can get by without as much practice,and shoot better.I have to concentrate more on my personal "sequence of the shot",to have effective practice. It still amazes me how it,(TP), manifested itself into my psyche ,after all these years of confident shooting.I was already a seasoned hunter when I took the step over to hunting with bow and arrow some 30 years ago.I grew up hunting squirrels,bobwhites,dove,ducks, and deer in east Texas ,and my family ate wild game and fish all year long.I was well accustomed to the excitement ,(and adrenaline rush),that comes from having game right in your lap. To me it's a mystery,and I'm searching for a key to unlock it.That's the main reason for this thread. Thanks for replying Brad. God Bless
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:05:02 pm by PeteC »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 09:19:49 am »
From the day I started building/breaking wood bows my shot declined almost to nothing. It was embarrassing, ineffective, and not enjoyable. My problem isn't holding on target, not at all. Its actually allowing my muscles to fully draw the bow. It was like my mind had a 42# switch. I let go at that weight every time, no matter what draw weight bow I would build or how far the bow was drawn. It all started to form as I broke a bow here and there. Each time a bow cracked, my draw shortened another inch. It was pathetic after 5 years. I did two things to fix it, mostly. First was to watch "Masters of the bare bow" DVD a few times. Second was to shoot my glass bows. For some reason my mind shuts that 42# switch off with a glasser. Now, I shoot glass bows much more. When I pick up a wood bow, which is still nearly every day, I can fully draw and shoot most of the time. I hunted with a self bow all season but a few days. If I try to shoot self bows exclusively? My shot deteriorates in about 2 months, I tested it this summer. In a nutshell, my subconscious doesn't trust self bows :) Ever try to reason with your subconscious? Good luck.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 01:01:36 pm »
   Maybe his will help some it has helped me help other win that are infectice with this.

TARGET PINIC is visile you see the target and instantly release. You break this cycle by touch instade of sight.

I teach others 2 ways of doing this one is you cut the arrow back untill the head touchs the back of the bow.

I did this for the first 3 years after I had 2 strokes in 06. I could'nt feel the side of my face. So I knew I was at full draw. When the head touched.

But this second way is the only other way of getting help I know of.

I teach people to do 2 things, you draw touch you ankor corner of the mouth or even a tooth. But as you come on target you release with your third finger down first you FELL THAT THIRD FINGER DOWN BURN. You feel the release not see and release.

I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS WORKS FOR SOME PEOPLE WHILE OTHERS LOOK AT YOU LIKE YOUR STUPIT.

Try it covert it to your own nateral way of shooting. Takes time and arrows.

Maybe it'll give someone some help.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 01:22:19 pm »
Thanks Pearlie and Crooketarrow. There are some strange affects that come through TP. One of mine is this: I can draw a arrow topped with a broadhead,come to full draw,anchor, aim,then let down with no problem whatsoever.But,with a field point or critter gitter, it takes unbelievable concentration for me to pull off the same process,(without a pre-mature release). However,this "loophole" I found,makes up the foundation for the method that has helped me  regain confidence. It is along the same line Pearlie mentioned being able to come to full draw with a glass bow.It's a place to start.   Thanks y'all   God Bless

Offline jimmy

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 12:55:05 pm »
Like probably most here. I practice at hunting distances.  Usually 15 yards and less.  This sounds easy to compound shooters, but you can always improve and more more consistent.  That's why it's addictive.  I admit, I have lot's of problems anchoring (planting your finger at the corner of your mouth or whatever).  I can't stand for my hand to touch my face while shooting.  It is distracting and uncomfortable.  In fact, I hate it so much that I just decided to stop trying to do it.  I have settled for seeing the tip of the arrow and even my right hand in my peripheral vision.  When they are where they need to be, I release.  Of course, this causes much early release and snap shooting.  I definitely shoot better and the bow performs better at full draw.  Shooting this way, I will never be as good as Howard Hill, but so be it, I don't compete. I am good enough to hunt and so were the Indians, who used methods that seem very unconventional to us.  I believe it is all muscle memory and mental, regardless of your preferred shooting style.  You just have to be consistent in your mind and body.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 05:22:34 pm »
Jimmy  I dont touch my face as well,,
I used to feel that i was short drawing,, but then I made bows that were at full draw at my "short draw",, that is what I like to shoot and hunt with now,,usually 24 25 inch draw,, I find the power stroke once to 24 will give nice performance,, :)

Offline Nate

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:23 am »
Hey every body! I've been reading your discussion on target panic with some interest as its a malady that has plagued me for years as well. I know how frustrating and debilitating it can be . There was a point were I took a long hard look at whether I could ethically continue hunting with my bow as my shooting had become so erratic as to be downright scary. After much mental training my shooting has improved dramatically, to the point that I again enjoy and have confidence in my shooting. For what I have read on the topic and my own experience I believe it is a matter of retraining our brain to not take shortcuts in our shooting process. The sheer willpower route didn't seem to work longterm for me and left me very frustrated. It was when I started a training regime to break my mental shooting habits that started to see real and significant results. One of the most effective drills for me was to draw, aim at a spot, then shift my point of aim to another spot, and then let down without releasing. After a few days of doing this repeatedly it was as if my brain could come on target without releasing ,until I made the conscious decision to do so. Hope this can be a help  to someone.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 03:39:38 pm »
  Sounds cool ,seams there's no set afflection other than the end result.

Everyone thats affected by it. Has to personally come to turms with it.

And everyone seams to have a differnt way of dealing with it. What works for some, a joke to others.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 08:27:19 pm »
Hey Nate,thanks for posting. You began your method much as I did.  Jim Ploen,champion archer and one of the original owners of "21st Century Archery",wrote an article in the Fall 2000 issue of the now defunct "Instinctive Archer".He described taking your focus off the target by"blowing out the candle", to take away the "heat"building during the shot process by re-focusing on the back of your hand or arrow shelf to regain control .This technique can be used for various type of TP,such as the inability to reach full draw,or "locking up" at full draw,which is my issue. Of course,when you refocus on the spot you wish to hit ,the "heat" returns.It was a matter of pointing at the spot,taking focus away from the spot,(before the pre-mature release),then refocusing on the spot again.Many repetitions,along with having my mind in the right place,help to control the sub-conscience triggered release.  God Bless