Author Topic: Bunch of New Abo Vids  (Read 4250 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:53:56 am by JackCrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

Re: Bunch of New Abo Vids
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:38:32 pm »
Very nice work l.. like the pace and the time you put into them. You are making very good points that we should try to keep in mind while working on finding solutions to the primitive mysteries. I really think you bring good perspectives for everyone to think about.
If you and bunch of us could time travel I think it would be fun to discover where and from which cultures we would see our ideas in use. I think the work we are seeing in the ABO area of flint knapping is starting to get even more creative as it branches out to find more ways to approach the same idea. I beleive your work is among those who are helping us gain ground with work like this. I really enjoyed them and will watch them again and hope to add so of this into my process. Thank you for your work.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:41:16 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 01:01:00 pm »
Thanks John!   Yeah, it would certainly be interesting to see the techniques of the past.  I think we would be amazed at the high level of natural talent and the low level of time in the learning curve, but that's me.  When I see artifacts, I think they show a certain "oneness" with the stone and a bold approach that pushes the limits of the materials to the extreme.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:27:09 pm »
Thanks John!   Yeah, it would certainly be interesting to see the techniques of the past.  I think we would be amazed at the high level of natural talent and the low level of time in the learning curve, but that's me.  When I see artifacts, I think they show a certain "oneness" with the stone and a bold approach that pushes the limits of the materials to the extreme.
yes and your point about how one flake can be made in many different ways is so important for all of us to remember so as not to jump to conclusions. Onesness is a great way to think about the approach. I find with my Burlington chert that from one quarry site to the next and even one Abo cook to the next so much variations requires a knapper to not just know how to knap but how to knap a particular stone after a couple strikes. So oneness with each stone.
if we could travel back in time i think it would be funny to hear....
look Iowabow that's the hard way just do it like this.........
or go kill me a deer with antlers then we will talk lol....
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline le0n

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 02:02:03 pm »
 8)

i can't wait to watch these tonight.

thanks in advance!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 02:31:38 pm »
Yeah, "Go kill me a deer and bring me the antlers and I'll show you",  definitely happened!

With my luck, the elder would have a point knapped when I got back and say, "What took you so long? I got impatient and knapped a point already.  Go get me more antlers (slave) ...."  Yes, master.   :(

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:18:58 pm »
Man, that's good stuff.  I subscribed to your channel to stay up to date on your developments.  Somehow when i was looking for horizontal punch videos a while back I missed your first video and only saw the second.  I think I see now why I had trouble with the method.  I'm going to try it using a composite antler tool.

Keith

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 10:08:37 pm »
Yes Sir, enjoyed all the videos. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge.!!!!

Subscribed also....
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 01:07:53 am »
Thanks guys.  Glad the videos are helpful.  Two of my daughters walked into the shop yesterday while I was filming and they gave me that, "Doing-a-wierd-video-and-talking-to-himself-thing-again" look... heheh

I got all self conscious and stuff.

(yeah right)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 01:38:47 pm »
thankyou very much JC
I'm in the way of learning and I watch carefully all your videos.
In fact I think there should be deep groove on youtube's hard disks where your files reside  ;)
I like alot the fact you're very descriptive. Keep on !!