Author Topic: Pin knock question  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Pin knock question
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:08:35 am »
Hi guys  just finishing up a maple bow with 2 more courses of sinew ,4 total it is 62 n&n  2 in wide to past mid limb & tapers to 1/2 with 1/4  wide pin knocks ,riser/handle is 8 in fade to fade,I'm going to try to tiller it to 45 lb  @29in,my question is are the 1/4 in pin knocks going to be strong enough, I have herd horror story's of pin knocks breaking & have 3 months part time work in this one & want to take every precaution be fore tiller ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Chief RID

Re: Pin knock question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:19:01 am »
That would be hard to predict, I would think but those with experience will be along shortly. Good luck.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:37:27 am »
I know osage can handle that 1/4".Hickory too.I have a rock maple bow here that is about that too.Making it 5/16" does'nt hurt either if your worried about it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:13 am »
Ok thanks these are all ready cut a fat 1/4 but I know with this short bow for 29in draw & wide limbs its probably tiller prety thin  out on the limbs so My only other choice would be shorting the bow another in. To cut new knocks, but dont know this is my first short bow at 29 in draw I have made. All others where 68 in. Or longer. This bow is also rock maple.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:01 am »
Add a sinew wrap around the limbs at the tips, just below the nock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:47:35 am »
Ok thanks Pat I appreciate the help been getting a lot of good help from you latley , This also my first sinew job not so pretty but should be functional.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 09:52:44 am »
Good suggestion by Pat.
Your gonna have plenty of length to make a bow.62.5" may seem short to you but that sinew and maple will handle it easily being that wide for a 29" draw.That sinew is gonna like those wide limbs.It'll torque the heck out of it.You'll have options with this bow tillering.That's what's nice about starting out long enough and wide enough.You can side tiller along with belly tiller on this one.If your floor tiller was good it should reverse up nice and evenly.It'll be a fun bow to make.I've had maple chrysal before on the belly so keep it bending evenly while tillering.I know I sound like a mother hen here but I've made a number of these and want you to get the best out of it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:05:00 am »
No problem need a Mother hen appreciate it,this my first short bow & first stave & sinew bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 10:27:50 am »
Ya gotta start somewhere!   ;D  If you get performance, ugly don't matter.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 10:32:37 am »
Yep thats why I married my wife lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 11:17:48 am »
Here...here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:59:31 pm »
I think they will hold ,, specially if you sinew wrap as suggested,, I have never had one fail,,