Author Topic: Bamboo-Cumaru-(ex-Ipe)-Massaranduba Bow Build-a-long  (Read 11174 times)

Offline Lehtis

Bamboo-Cumaru-(ex-Ipe)-Massaranduba Bow Build-a-long
« on: December 16, 2015, 04:16:51 am »
Hei, fellow bowyers!

Iīve recently started this experimental project and my aim is to make an ELB-stylish bow from bamboo, cumaru and ipe. Experimental because of cumaru seems to be rather explosive under pressure but seems to stand well under massaranduba in my earlier bows. Now Iīm testing how ipe can handle this task. Weīll see later either a ca. 80 lbs @ 28" bow or fire wood.

So, ca. 5 mm bamboo is on back, belly ca. 8 mm ipe and tapered cumaru as core, ca. 1 cm at handle and 3 mm at limb tips. A slice of scrap massaranduba at handle area to give enough thickness. The slices were glued with Unibond-800, squeezed with rubber band and the limbs were forced ca. 7,5 cm (3") reflex at tips and 3,5 cm at 25 cm from the tips.

In the last picture youīll see the bow on my tillering system, corners and belly rounded but not drawn with tillering string yet. More to come, stay tuned...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:01:42 am by Lehtis »

Offline Aaron H

Re: Bamboo-Cumaru-Ipe Bow Build-a-long
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:05:18 am »
Your bamboo seems awfully thick.  I have heard,  and from my little experience,  that the thinner the bamboo, the better.  I like to thin my bamboo to about 1/16" on the sides,  which usually equates to about 1/8" or less at the crown.   Someone else with a little more experience may be able to tell you better though.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:26:37 am »
Aaron; Iīve heard that also earlier... but few other bows Iīve made have been working fine with that thick bamboo. Latest two 80 lbs and above. Perhaps Iīve got to make bamboo a bit thinner next time.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 01:41:53 am »
Some additional thoughts about bamboo thickness on bowīs back: I think (and may be wrong...) itīs also related to the thickness of the whole limb also. ELB stylish rounded belly should allow thicker bamboo backing than flat bows. In my bows 4-5 mm bamboo is  ca. 1/4 from the mid limb total thickness. Also, more bamboo at limb tips should give more speed because of itīs lighter than heavier core and belly woods.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:13:03 pm »
No firewood (yet) but no bow either (yet)... I did preliminary tillering with long string and when I was changing to short string to finalize tillering I heard unpleasant noise. I found some longitudinal marks on the upper limb between the handle and mid limb showing ipe growth rings starting to separate. Either a hidden damage in the wood structure or ipe simply doesnīt stand the compression from cumaru and bamboo.

May the stave rest now for a while. Later during this winter Iīm planning to sand all that ipe away and also thin a bit cumaru core and then glue my last massaranduba as new belly.

Until then: Seasonīs Greetings & Happy New Year 2016!

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 01:53:57 am »
Couldnīt wait longer... Scratched ipe sanded away, cumaru core thinned a bit and massaranduba glued as new belly. Next tillering during coming silent evenings.

Offline Lehtis

Re: Bamboo-Cumaru-(ex-Ipe)-Massaranduba Bow Build-a-long
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 08:00:50 am »
This stave still fights back. Now, when ipe has been replaced with massaranduba, the stave still doesnīt want to co-operate. The limbs are so narrow and reflexed that it turns upside down when stringing. Perhaps itīs not fully straight after all. Next step is to shorten it by 4-5" to 65-66" ntn, so it will still belong to longbow category. That will most likely happen a bit later because of Iīm thinking to start another project first; Bamboo-Ipe-Osage Orange.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 12:27:35 pm »
For the next project you speak of, why put such a heavy wood (ipe) as the core when you could reduce mass by using a lighter wood with better gluing properties ( maple maybe?). I'm not going to pretend to know squat about laminated bows but I have heard people experienced in making laminated bows say to others to steer away from heavy core woods. Just my thoughts though, good luck!

Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 03:38:58 am »
Thanks for your comments, bowandarrow473. The aim to use ipe as corewood is because of the one I have seems to be not so good quality to succeed as belly; tried. I also want some decorative effect from darker wood between bamboo and osage. Actually, Iīve already glued that combo, some 4 mm ipe as deco stripe. Iīll start another build-a-long later or publish this under bows category but here are a couple of pics.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 05:19:48 am »
While another project (that Bamboo-Ipe-Osage above, will be shown in itīs own chain later) presented unexpected problems requiring patching, I decided to continue with this one. I cut away 2,5" from both limbs and an narrowed the tips to ca. 12 mm (1/2") from the outward twisting sides. Now the stave is some 67" long and and obeys the string properly. Itīs now roughly shaped and tillered close to the targeted weight waiting for horn nocks and fine tuning. Looks like this one is finally turning to functional bow.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 11:15:26 am »
This bow is now ready after all problems during making it. It ended up to rather aggressive little qutie but still fits in longbow categories if used in competitions. Domesticated water buffalo horn nocks and strike plate, handle from a leather bag found from flea market and 16 strands dacron string. Several layers of TruOil as coating. Other specifications can be seen in the pictures.

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 08:34:19 am »
Lehtis,  Thank you for including the build along pics, they are very helpful to those of us who are new to this.  Nice looking bow, well done!
Ed
When I stop learning please put me in a box!