Author Topic: Another opinion.... Updated and finished  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Another opinion.... Updated and finished
« on: December 16, 2015, 05:31:28 pm »
I have this hickory board pulling #40 at 24", the weight is about where I would like it--ultimately #45-48 at 27". It feels like its starting to stack. I'm happy with the tiller but need to pull another 3". Its 63" ntn, bendy handle. Suggestions please...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:56:24 pm by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Another opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:52:32 pm »
From the string angle it looks like you've about run out of room. If you get the handle working a little more you should be able to get another inch or so of length out of it.

Kyle

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:55:45 pm »
I think the bow will take less set if you use a pulley ,, or dont let it stay drawn on the tree,,
hard for me to tell with a photo but seems to be bending a bit to much out of the handle,,maybe make the outer mids work just a bit more,,
what does the unbraced profile look like,, that will give you the info you need as far as how the bow is taking set now,, if it is not taking set now your tiller is pretty good,, :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 06:24:18 pm »
Hrothgar,
     You are at the spot that used to give me fits....my advice would be to very slowly work the grip fades down untill you can feel it  starting to bend, and then slowly scrape the tips (outer 6-8 inches) to bring them back just a little....should give you the 2-3 inches ya need.

Your bends look nice and even so dont get too froggy.....just alittle more movement in the middle of the bow (by bringing the fades closer together) and allowing the tips to move a little bit more....but do not get carried away sir....
rich

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 06:28:14 pm »
Here are a couple more pix. It  has a couple inches of string follow, too much rain and humidity lately. The brace height is 4 3/4".

Rich, I think I can take a bit more off the handle, will work on the outer tips also.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 06:49:22 pm »
The guys covered it well. Your aim is a bendy handle, but there is no movement in it now. Your tiller now is a spot on 10 for a stiff handled bow. Once you get that center to budge a bit your weight will be dead knutz. The stack you are feeling isn't string angle. Its the working limb stopping and that stiff handle not giving. So you feel that wall.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 07:15:12 am »
I had to get in on this thread. I am learning a lot. Let us see the results and what you did, Hrothgar.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 01:56:11 pm »
I still dont agree, you can see where the bow is taking too much set close to the handle,, and the mid limbs are stiff,, I dont feel like the bow is bending evenly,,, if you make it bend more towards the handle,, it will just make the mids even stiffer,,,, like I said I am not that good at tiller by photo, but the unbraced photo is telling to me,,, :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 02:12:36 pm »
Near handle wood will take more set when the handle isn't moving. Where else would it occur?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 02:32:16 pm »
the near handle set is occurring because the limbs are too stiff,,or not working enough,, that is my read on it,,but am always open to learning something,, :)  even a stiff handle bow does not take set right out of the fades,, unless that area is strained too much,,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 02:37:15 pm »
Correct, a stiff handled long bow should not take set near handle. A short bow designed to use all of itself will show set first where you are seeing it. There isn't enough limb to pull it off unless all of the bows length is being used. To me? His un-braced pic shows very even set from fade to tip. That's a sign of even tiller usually.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just spewing thoughts.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 03:33:18 pm »
Here's what I have now. I took a little off the tips and quite a bit off the handle. Its pulling a lot easier but 25" is as far as I pulled so far, and still under target weight.

Thanks for all the input.

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 08:32:37 pm »
Mr. H,   that looks real good but you have a very small stiff spot on the right limb (as oriented in the pic) I put a red line where that is and if you look at the bow's shadow you can see it also. If you VERY LIGHTLY scrape that area to even up the bend there is no reason why it should not come back to the 27" of draw you want.....put the scale on and pull it back (dont exceed your draw weight) you should be real close to exactly what you wanted....just my opinion sir since I cant feel the bow in the hand.

That bend is looking real sweet sir....
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 08:34:02 pm »
forgot the pic....duhhh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 08:34:12 pm »
Yes sir.