Author Topic: What if things went south, could you handle it?  (Read 12298 times)

Offline DC

Re: What if things went south, could you handle it?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 01:49:51 pm »
If you don't have enough food you'll starve to death(my case probably). If you do have enough food someone who doesn't will probably kill you to take it. The first few years would be hell on earth. Once 90% of the people died it would slowly turn into (close to) heaven on earth. People living as people should.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »
Quote from: jeffp51 link=topic=55396.msg752926#msg752926 da[quote
te=1450371243]
What exactly is the "it" that is going to happen? That probably means I am in for it if "it" does.
[/quote]

That is the ultimate question that no one can definitively answer.  "It" is the hypothetical scenario that brings civilization to its knees.   Chaos incarnate.  I truly hope that no one can ever answer that question.  Josh

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 02:04:39 pm »
IT, is going to be zombies LOL, & no I'm  not ready, I'll need and RC car some string tin cans to drag behind it, I'll also need a good 22 or 2 with  suppresses,   lots more 22 ammo, and I'll have the best varmint hunt you could imagine. LOL Ed
The noise from the Tin cans behind the RC car will bring them in, we all know zombies are attracted to noise...lol Ed

It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 02:07:04 pm »
It doesn't keep me up at night, but I have spent the last dozen years learning skills that would make that life possible. Won't be anything romantic about shooting folks who are trying to steal food from you. Or sleeping out in the cold cause you can't build a fire for fear of being seen. Or living in a stick hut cause the house is just too high profile.

But, if in this life only I had hope, I would be of all men most miserable.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »
I'm by no means ready for any of that but suppose I'm as prepared as the next guy. I grow my own veggies and can more food that most. I do freeze some but most of my products are pressure canned including fruit, vegetables, pork lard, tallow (beef kidney suet), venison, pork, poultry, etc.

If the power grid goes out I'm not in a world of hurt. I already use composting toilet system and separate the urine which is then stored for fertilizer on my food plots.

I haul all of my drinking water but plan on a filtering system to utilize creek water for all my cleaning, showers etc. What comes out of the  creek is fine for irrigation purposes.

I've lived without television for over 6 years, no problem. Most all of my heat is from wood although I do utilize a couple of space heaters. My utilities consist of an electric bill and phone/internet that average around $200/month combined.

My belief is that those could both be eliminated in an emergency. So yeah, I think I could handle it should it come to that. Oh, I like dandelion tea and am up to giving dandelion wine a try.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 03:12:14 pm »
IT, is going to be zombies LOL, & no I'm  not ready, I'll need and RC car some string tin cans to drag behind it, I'll also need a good 22 or 2 with  suppresses,   lots more 22 ammo, and I'll have the best varmint hunt you could imagine. LOL Ed
The noise from the Tin cans behind the RC car will bring them in, we all know zombies are attracted to noise...lol Ed

No wonder .22lr is so hard to find at a reasonable price!  Ed's been stocking up for a zombie safari!  Lol!  Josh

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 03:20:01 pm »

No wonder .22lr is so hard to find at a reasonable price!  Ed's been stocking up for a zombie safari!  Lol!  Josh

And my father in law. If I could ship it, I have a place close to my work with as much as you all would want.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 03:23:25 pm »
I know I alone am not entirely prepared but I have valuable skills and the historical recreation society I belong to (SCA) has many folks who have all the skills necessary. In fact the writer of the Walking Dead comics/show said he had to intentionally leave the SCA out of his world because we'd have it too easy, lol. We have all the skills to survive just fine and it's hard to get bit by zombies in full chain maille and plate armor, lol.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 03:24:26 pm »
I know I alone am not entirely prepared but I have valuable skills and the historical recreation society I belong to (SCA) has many folks who have all the skills necessary. In fact the writer of the Walking Dead comics/show said he had to intentionally leave the SCA out of his world because we'd have it too easy, lol. We have all the skills to survive just fine and it's hard to get bit by zombies in full chain maille and plate armor, lol.
It is also hard to run, or do most any other thing we do daily.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 03:44:39 pm »

That's actually a myth. When I get home from work I'll find and post a video that shows this very well, it's a guy in full armor jogging, doing jumping jacks, dropping and doing push ups then jumping right back up, climbing up one side of a ladder, going over the top and back down the other side etc. etc. Our modern infantry carries more weight marching than an knight in armor.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 03:49:57 pm »

That's actually a myth. When I get home from work I'll find and post a video that shows this very well, it's a guy in full armor jogging, doing jumping jacks, dropping and doing push ups then jumping right back up, climbing up one side of a ladder, going over the top and back down the other side etc. etc. Our modern infantry carries more weight marching than an knight in armor.

LOL, I'm sure someone in great shape could, but not all of us are in the shape of our fighting forces.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 03:57:15 pm »
You would be after running from zombies for a couple of weeks ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 03:59:41 pm »
If things go south, i will probably follow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Zuma

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 04:02:38 pm »
I look at it as if I were Geranimo. You can run but you can't hide.
If they want ya they'll get ya. Best thing is to get yourself right
with your maker. I'm not saying give up by any means.
Pure survival sucks though.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 04:06:37 pm »
If things go south, i will probably follow.

You're supposed to go north. Zombies freeze.