Author Topic: bow/arrow/whatever gathering - Jan 16-17 - Wright City, MO  (Read 31473 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: bow/arrow/whatever gathering - Jan 16-17 - Wright City, MO
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2016, 09:51:16 pm »
My camera decided to hide itself after taking some pictures! Hopefully it'll show itself when Chris is doin' cleanup.

I had one do that at Pappy's li'l shindig down Tennessee way the first time I went there!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2016, 11:02:21 pm »
We didn't run across it Mike when we packed up today.

Here are a few pictures that I took. Some wasn't the best.

The awesome life saver of the whole gathering!

Hickory is king dvshunter!  >:D

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2016, 11:04:56 pm »
I'll post some more tomorrow!
Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2016, 01:33:19 am »
The gang began to arrive Friday night. With travel being quite the adventure for Pat (lebhuntfish), Jon (JonW), Eric (onebowonder), and Josh. But will leave details for story-telling around rendezvous campfires this spring, summer, and fall.

By late Fri eve, 8 had arrived. Most decided to make it a near-all-nighter. Lights didn't go out til 'bout 5 am. Eric, Pat, and Jon got a few hrs sleep in the warmed up Air Stream. Josh and I went to my place. Brian (Koan) slept by stove in barn. Dave (DvsHunter) left just in time to work on the new house he's building.

Saturday dawned clear/brisk. Energy level was still high. Breakfast was great in Rackley's home. Ed (Beadman) rolled in from Iowa. Couple of Chris' (bowwood) fellow UBM members showed up. At least one of Chris' neighbors stopped for the day. Yes, the barn was a bit crowded, but thanks to everyone that brought benches/tools, everyone could do their thing. Highlight of afternoon was shooting the range that Chris and his family had setup.  Think it was about 12 challenging targets, including a rat and Fred, the zombie. Lights out was at a more reasonable 2 am.

Sunday we awoke to fresh snow! It was Pat's turn to shine at breakfast-making .... egg casserole was outta this world! The fun continued, though there were fewer in attendance. Keeping warm in the Air Stream on Sunday night was bit of challenge, but the fellas were up to it. Josh was wise to choose another night at my place.   ::) 

Thermometer read -1 Monday morn! I did the breakfast thingy Monday morning .... took 'em all to Dennys!! Then there was the big pack up and heading to home.

Everyone seemed to have a good time. I had a blast, learned a bit more, laughed alot, and got caught up with this great group of friends. Huge kudo goes to Chris and family for organizing this wonderful weekend!!!

Now, for a few pics.

Chris' neighbor, Greg, stopped by to work on his bow. Jerry, Chris' dad, was only too willing to provide coaching.   :o

Dave . . . . looking totally confused.   :)    >:D    :)

Eric and Dave.

Dave, Brian, and Patrick.

Working on a BL board bow. Unfortunately, there was a pin knot very close to limb edge . . . . . . .  .

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:46:58 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2016, 05:24:17 am »
Looks like a great time, keep the pictures coming. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JonW

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2016, 07:43:04 am »
Had a great time fellas! Looking forwaed to many more. MUCH thanks to Chris for the generous hospitality.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2016, 11:02:44 am »
What a GREAT weekend!  Those in the know, know that I am a much better bowyer than an archer, and my bowyery is middling at BEST!  However; I got talked into shooting the 3D course and had a GREAT time doing it.  I figured I couldn't embarrass myself too badly among such friends.  I shot poorly as usual, though perhaps a little better than other times.

The entire weekend was a BLAST.  I'm a bit sore today, and the steaming HOT shower last night felt like heaven itself, . . . . . . but I would run back out and do it all again next weekend if I could.

Chris and Rackley Clan, I offer our appreciation for the opportunity to use your toasty warm shop, and enjoy your gracious hospitality.  The Veggy Beef Soup was exactly the right soul and belly warmer! 

Mike, you have a far nicer lady for a wife than you likely deserve!  It was great to meet her at Breakfast yesterday.  Let us know if she consents to import a bunch of Guava staves during her Hawaiian Cruise vacation and we'll arrange to do some kind of trade...  >:D 8) ::) ;)

...Oh, and Patrick, thanx a ton for driving without swerving when that 'flying chip board storm' came crashing down.  We are fortunate to be alive and unhurt and that's not an exaggeration at all!  Hopefully your truck can be made pretty again.

And last but certainly NOT least, JonW - Thanx for all the Peaches and Corn!!! They made everything feel better after the chip-board storm.  8)

OneBow

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2016, 01:09:11 pm »
You're very welcome, not quite sure how I did that but I'm really glad everyone was unharmed.  Yeah, thank you  John for the nerve calming peach juice!
Patrick

Offline Patches

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2016, 01:58:57 pm »
Glad all  you guys survived I-70.  I hate that road....

I was glad I got to come over Saturday! It was good to see everybody and meet new people.  Thanks Chris for the food, the shop and the target range.  It was a fun day!

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2016, 03:29:47 pm »
Sounds like a good time had by all, will this be an annual event?

Offline PNewton

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »
Looks and sounds like a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Offline bowwood

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »
It was a Great weekend and yes I am thinking this may turn into an annual thing

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2016, 08:26:14 pm »
. . . . will this be an annual event?

Will likely do it again here at Wright City. Will also likely be return engagements at Springfield. Am aware of several similar events in midwest.
Wouldn't it be neat if such casual events became even more numerous?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:34 pm »
Yep that shed was nice to work in with that wood burner.I came home through a little snow.Not a soul on the road.Pretty nice really!!!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2016, 10:06:23 pm »
Here is a few more pictures I took, again some aren't the best.
Patrick

One of Chris's beagles had a sore paw. So the bow work stopped for me. I have a big soft spot for a beagle.

A little target shooting!