Author Topic: Finished Grey Myrtle Flat Bow  (Read 4898 times)

GraemeK

Finished Grey Myrtle Flat Bow
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:28:06 am »
Hi Folks

Finished the bow that I previously posted. I did as suggested and just tillered it evenly and this caused the reflexed limb to take a little set which has evened out the limbs. The bow is 70"ntn and 50# at 28" and I used horn for the nock overlays since the tips were small.
I am pleased with the end result and it has proved the timber to be a great bow wood so I am keen to try a narrow bow from my other staves.

Graeme

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Finished Grey Myrtle Flat Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:57:04 am »
Sweet looking bow,nice job.The wood looks a lot like our HHB or some of the Hickory we have cut. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:30:20 am »
Good looking bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:24:48 am »
Well done looks like a nice shooter.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:00:19 am »
Impressive, glad to see a guy not scared to try a new wood. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

GraemeK

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:09:42 am »
Thanks everyone --- what I found most interesting was that the bow has more early draw weight than any other bow that I have made , even the ones with a heap of recurve and reflex. I guess it would be interesting to graph it to see the comparison but I never seem to get around to stuff like that since its more fun to start another bow. Anyway it would probably just tell me what I already know, which is that this timber is super stiff

Graeme 

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:25:55 pm »
Graeme, great looking bow. Interesting about your observation on the high early draw weight. How much set did the bow take from it's original profile? Steve

jamie

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:11:06 pm »
thats a beauty

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 01:55:59 pm »
Very nice bow. Was serving up  the loops on your bow string a little tedious? Got your GMFB all bookmarked for Feb Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:14:47 pm »
Nice lookin' bow...was about to comment on how much the back looked like HHB, but Pappy beat me to the punch.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

GraemeK

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 08:03:40 pm »
Hi Badger
The arm that was reflexex took about 1.5" and the other arm took none. It does not seem to take any more set when strung for a while it just stays like the picture against the brick wall.
Below is a photo of the stave early in the process showing the one reflexed and one deflexed limb.

[attachment deleted by admin]

GraemeK

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 08:18:23 pm »
Hi Oldbow -- thanks for including me in the BOM . The string loops take a few minutes to serve with the jig that I use but I have not found it to be much of a problem. I guess it takes me half an hour to make a string and it does not seem like a long time but I only make a string each time I build a new bow so I dont get bored with it.

Hi GregB and Pappy

I have seen photos of HHB and thought the same but I could not tell from the photos how textured the surface was or if some of it was variation in colour.
The other interesting thing about the two timbers is that they both have the same common name " Ironwood" so maybe we are not the first to notice the similiarities.

Graeme