Author Topic: Need Birch Bark  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Accipiter

Need Birch Bark
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:41:47 am »
I'll be using it for a stacked knife handle like this: https://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/tag/stacked-birch-bark-puukko/

Quantity is flexible (i need about 30 1"x1.5" squares for one knife), but its pretty important that the bark be as thick and intact as possible, with no delamination between the layers. Also, pieces from bigger trees are definitely better since they are flatter and easier to stack. If any of you northwoods folk had some big birches come down and can take some strips of bark off, I'd be very grateful!

I have a few small things to trade (some broadheads and arrow shafts, prepared feathers), lots of interesting wood blocks (and some horn) for knife handles, tip overlays, etc.

I also have some bigger things (mostly Ocean Spray staves) I'd be willing to consider trading, although I don't know if I could use enough birch bark to make a straight-up trade worth it! I could also make you a knife similar to the one in the link, although that would take some time. If your interested, let me know.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Need Birch Bark
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:15:42 am »
I think I've got some on hand. I'll check the attic and send a pm later today. Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 02:06:02 pm »
I've got some too, but not sure how much. I'll let you know later.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »
Great, thanks guys

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 08:49:47 pm »
Well I have some but it's all separated for the sake of bow backings. I'll try and get out and harvest some more this week.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 11:15:43 pm »
Awesome, do you think you'd be able to find any 1/8" thick or so? What would you want for trade?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 12:37:54 pm »
Hey Accipter, sorry it took a while. Here's what I have. I wasn't able to get any 1/8" thick, but there's lots of it here. I have about 50-60 squares, plus a couple long strips you can cut up yourself, or use for backing strips. I also have some random blocks of woods you can use for knife scales. I have some bocate, some zebra wood, and also a chunk of curly, quilted maple. I would love to get my hands on an ocean spray stave. I've never worked with it before. If there's anything else you might need or want, let me know. Hopefully we can work something out. Thanks.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 12:39:00 pm »
forgot to attach the photo. OOPS!

Rockford, MI