Author Topic: Bows in "The Revenant"  (Read 14970 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: Bows in "The Revenant"
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 10:18:44 pm »
Well now I definitely need to go see that movie.  I can't wait to see a fellow primitive archer members work in a movie. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 10:25:51 pm »
From my experience, the first thing someone does on a film set when you hand them a bow is to see how far it bends before it breaks. 

I wonder what the props company did with what was leftover from filming The Revenant?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 10:32:07 pm »
Jw,I asked the very same question to the prop master and was told although many props were sold they did not sell the bows or arrows used in the film.
Eric

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 10:32:20 pm »
From my experience, the first thing someone does on a film set when you hand them a bow is to see how far it bends before it breaks. 

I wonder what the props company did with what was leftover from filming The Revenant?

Jw haven't you done some movie work too?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 10:35:03 pm »
Well, watch every movie for your stuff to show up later down the line!

One of my bows has shown up in several western artist's paintings in the last few years.  Same red wool wrap on one limb and a fake owl feather tied to the tip of one limb. 

I know I will be watching the movie more for your contributions than the story, they kinda got that all fictionalized up and in the wrong setting.  At least I can enjoy the sticks and strings!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 11:51:53 pm »
I am dieing to see the movie myself! It cam out Friday here. Now that I know that a fellow pa Bowyer is the star of the movie I have to see it soon! Congrats indianGuy!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 01:19:18 am »
I saw it and I really enjoyed it. My wife did too! I noticed that Pawnee fellow's bow was all weather checked it looked like when they were on that buffalo kill. Overall I thought the movie and accountraments were very good. Nice work Indianguy!

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 01:26:25 am »
The Pawnee bow was sinew backed. :-)

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 01:43:29 am »
I suspected that, but the close up happened so fast I thought it was checked. You did a fantastic job! Well done sir!

Limbit

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 03:47:33 am »
I noticed the Pawnee bow was sinew backed, but it seemed to bend very strange to me. You can see the tips are pretty stiff while the majority of the bend is occurring nearer the handle. I thought it looked like two huge hinges on each limb, but there must be some logic to the style. 

Offline smoke

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 08:50:56 am »
It was a fun film but about as realistic as James Bond.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 09:39:05 am »
I haven't seen the movie yet, but am familiar with the Hugh Glass story. The parts of the story that seem fake (attacked by bear, left for dead with no gun, tools, etc, crawling for miles, finding a buffalo kill) are actually the real deal. The real life ending was pretty anticlimactic, and i'm guessing this is where hollywood took over, but the "survival" portion of the story is true.

And congrats to Eric, great to see real and accurate representations of bows and arrows in a film.
45# at 27"

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 12:09:32 pm »
Thanks again guys. For the every present movie bow critic. The bows were made in 105 degree Oklahoma heat. Shipped to a sub zero climate where they were abused and wet and handled by people that were not archers. So you can say what you will.
Take care my friends.
Eric
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:42:37 pm by IndianGuy »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 12:23:50 pm »
Did you by chance take any pictures of the bows before you sent them off?  It would be nice to get a better view of them than what we are likely to see in the movie.

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 12:59:31 pm »
Did you by chance take any pictures of the bows before you sent them off?  It would be nice to get a better view of them than what we are likely to see in the movie.

I'd like to see them also! Haven't watched the movie yet, but I doubt you can see them very well...

"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David