Author Topic: Bows in "The Revenant"  (Read 15042 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Bows in "The Revenant"
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 01:01:44 pm »
Eric I've seen bows you have posted and have no doubt when they left the tiller was spot on
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JonW

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 01:05:33 pm »
I saw them before they went out. Spectacular pieces. Eric I know you dont need to hear it cuz, but you know what your work is and so do I. ;)

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 01:11:09 pm »
Here are a few of the movie bows, just so you know all the bows and arrows were made on a six week deadline.
Eric

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:42 pm »
I liked the bows,, when I saw the movie,, I thought well done on the bows,, and I am sure they were not treated well,, probably left strung etc etc,,, anyway,, I am sure if you could go back in time,,,that most native bows didn't look to have "perfect tiller ",,, hard use,, and bad weather can effect any wood bow,,, in a negative way,, but as long as it was functional,, I am sure they used it to the very last shot,,,on that note,, bows that don't look perfect can shoot perfect,, and we have put such a strong emphasis on the look of a bow,, that alot of times we forget,,,, the way the bow shoots is for most,,,and in the movie, the bows did their job and functioned as needed,, job done,,so how the tiller "looked" is really not an issue,,and is probably more representative of real bows of that time,, than our bows made in perfect controlled conditions,, I didn't see anything negative about the bows at all,,,,thats just me ,,after devoting a large part of my life to making and shooting ,, on a professional level,, B :)
I am going to see the movie again,, just to look closer at the bows :)

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 02:14:04 pm »
Indianguy,
Excellent job with the equipment and loved the movie. Pretty darn cool that someone on here built the archery equipment for that movie. BTW, as a short bow/sinew bow builder myself, no doubt you did a great job.
Erik

Offline smoke

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 03:21:22 pm »
Thanks for posting the pictures Eric - very cool!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 06:00:13 pm »
+1

Big thanks for showing us the "cast and crew".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:08 pm »
When you're making a whole shipload of bows for a movie do you make them with a light draw weight to cut down on the whining?

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 09:21:46 pm »
D.C.
The first two proto types were 45 and 50 pounds give or take a pound our two. After receiving them they asked for lighter poundage.So most of the bows were between 35&40# draw weight when all was said and done.
Eric

Offline PatM

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:30 pm »
That's likely where you see the smallest tiller flaw grow over the course of the filming. The wood gets wet and the bows likely start being drawn a bit farther and likely not from the optimum point on the string. What are you gonna do?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 12:01:14 am »
Awesome work Eric.  You had to really hump to get all of that done in such short order.  I plan to go see this film.  It must be pretty well done.  If they made the effort to enlist a real bowyer like yourself, I bet they showed attention to detail throughout the production.  I am excited about seeing this movie.  Some of the internet critics are already sounding off about the liberties that were taken in deviating from the true story of Hugh Glass - but really, how entertaining would a historical recounting of a two hundred mile crawl really have been?  At this point, I am stoked that Hollyweird left the concrete jungle, urban themes, that have been done to death, to make any sort of a movie that might appeal to my peers just a little bit!   Beautiful bows and arrows IndianGuy!   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 12:19:57 am »
Nice work Eric! I've been excited about this movie since last summer. Good to see someone making a real living off this.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 03:07:07 am »
I saw the revenant the other day and thought it was an awesome movie (but not as good as Jeremiah Johnson!)
My first thought on seeing it was 'oh great- they got the bows right! Not that I'm very knowledgeable on these things but great work Indianguy! :-)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 09:06:08 am »
Great work Indianguy.   I can't wait to see the film

Offline gifford

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 10:23:43 am »
Thanks for posting the pictures Eric, great looking bows and arrows.