Author Topic: The Nowata Oklahoma Classic ( and Knap in? )  (Read 4032 times)

Offline sleek

The Nowata Oklahoma Classic ( and Knap in? )
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:57:11 pm »
Of course knapping is encouraged, and all pa members are envited. I just really wanted to add the K to make the abbreviation spell N.O.C.K. 

So Friday I am going to the city to get paperwork to make the N.O.C.K. an official club. Non profit of course and llc. That should get things officially going. Now, the fun stuff.

Event will be first weekend of September. Its to officially start that thursday and end sunday but gates will open monday for early arrivers. There will be a nice long and scored shaded archery course ( hay bails this year but targets will be purchased and added as the event grows ). There will be a top score shooters shoot off for a prize. Perhaps along the lines of a solid silver arrowhead. Details on that as soon as its sorted out.

There will be a clout shoot into a large round bail. Its all primitive camping but electrical can be provided to aid those who need it. Town is only about 7 miles away with a grocery and gas station.  There is a tornado shelter should it be needed that is about 12x12 ( its oklahoma, we get storms even in winter so you know, there is shelter. )

I hope there will be a large pile of osage for around 20$ a stave to pick from that will be 6 months seasoned in oklahoma summer heat. Im still working on that. The pile each year will have older stuff as time goes.  They should all be of good bow quality. There is an industrial machine shop band saw in a large shop that will make mince meat of any stave you throw at it. Feel free to bring any power tools you wish, we have room to keep them in the shop out of weather should it get bad. I hope to have ice available as well, camp fires are allowed, there is limited room for camper trailers so let me know asap of size so i can map out your spot. Spots are first come.  There is a nice long gated gravel road to park your trailer if you bring one to haul your gear. Access in and out is very open and easy.

To help pay the event, donations are very welcome, and an auction will be done for anything placed on the table by you all. All money raised will be put right back into the next event, more osage staves, power hook ups and water, as well as nice 3d targets. I will add to this as more information can be added. Please feel free to let me know of ideas you have to help the event be productive and fun. If you plan to attend please let me know on this thread so i know an idea of how many to accommodate.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:06:07 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JonW

Re: The Nowata Oklahoma Classic ( and Knap in? )
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:33 pm »
Kevin save me the most PRIMO camp site. Sounds awesome.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 09:21:33 pm »
Honestly, there isnt a single bad spot to set up camp here. Its all perfect. Patrick has been there and he can attest to the lay out. I will post pics next chance im over that way.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:40:49 pm »
It is a really nice place and easy access to everything on site. The course area will be easy to walk and navigate. So it will be great for all ages. The shop is huge and the camping area is beautiful with as best as I can remember some decent shade trees as well. I can't wait for this event. Sleek and I have had several lengthy conversations about N.O.C.K. It should be a nice fun weekend to round out the summer just before hunting season opens for most people. I'll be camping close to John because I will be in the best camping spot on the grounds!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 12:02:07 am »
Sounds FUN! :D

I might be able to make it, depending on what I have going...
What all will you guys be doing? Building bows and other bow stuff I'm assuming? Lol

Where is it at?
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 01:13:48 am »
Yep build bows, arrows, napping and just about anything else in the primitive archery type of world. It's located just outside of Nowata Oklahoma. Sleek will have to fill everyone in on the address.
Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:11:53 am »
For me, looks to be same distance as TN Classic. Will add this to the calendar.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 01:55:46 pm »
Awesome Mike! Sounds like we are getting a party together!
Patrick

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:32:03 pm »
Sounds like a good time,  I'll mark it on my calender

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 08:01:39 pm »
Awesome Mike! Sounds like we are getting a party together!
Patrick

Did someone say PARTY?!! Ol' Mister Hill always makes me drink more than I want though :P

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:54:22 am »
Hey guys, an update on this shoot.

Do to me being sent out of state for a contract, and the timing of my job being way off, I havent been able to do any work on getting the shoot put together. I know I got lots of folks excited about it only to let the wind out of their sails and I am sorry. This is a big let down for me this year. Not to mention a wildfire ripped through there and destroyed all my osage i had stored up for the event.

However, I am not giving up on this. I have a year to get everything put together and targets bought, power poles installed for campers, trails cleared etc... for next September. That way even if I am not there, there is no reason to not be able to have this event anyway.

On a related note, the boys of Oklahoma Self Bow Society ( OJAM )have expressed interest in this also and said they would work with me on it. So waiting a year to get their full participation may be a blessing and lead to much more enjoyable experience.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 10:06:01 am »
Sumpin to look forward to!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857