Author Topic: Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous  (Read 114159 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2016, 03:56:49 pm »
Had a complete blast this year. Got to hang out with some of the best people i've ever met. It was great puttin faces to names. Bubby, DBar, Lebhuntfish, Onebowwonder, Badly Bent , Knoll. Man, the names keep comin. JacksonCash , Bowmo, Stringman, RyanR, Pearly, Pauly, Clint, Missilemaster, BuckeyeGuy, MWirwicki, Gary Davis. My thumbs are cramping, Norm Blaker. All the wives and little ones runnin around, late nites in the pavillion. I could go on and on. I'm sure others will chime in so here's some pics.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2016, 04:05:10 pm »
Again it was a great weekend, everyone of you guys really are top shelf in my book. My ugly mug should not be in the pic of the mini bows, since i didnt finish mine but Patrick being the good guy he is let me shoot one of his. Thanx to Scott for the beautiful stones. Clint , thanx for the B-97. Bubs , thanx for the string. Thanx to Pearly and everyone else who helped with my elm bow. Gosh, i dont want to keep ramblin but i'm still gitty from hangin with you boys. Thanx.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: May 29, 2016, 10:04:44 pm »
Looks like Clint is still up to his osage experiments...or is that his new recurve.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #438 on: May 29, 2016, 11:09:17 pm »
We are home. Thanks all ... ladies and gents ... for memorable 5 days!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #439 on: May 29, 2016, 11:36:38 pm »
Looks like Clint is still up to his osage experiments...or is that his new recurve.  ;D

Pat, that bow had a weird spot mid limb.  It was really thick in that area but hinged badly.  It was like rubber.  I had that bow bent into a C shape before it finally cracked. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #440 on: May 29, 2016, 11:41:17 pm »
What a great weekend!  Able to see a lot of old faces and meet a bunch of new faces. Hung out with the guys for a few days and had my wife and daughters come up for a few days to experience the community for the first time. The days with my family I spent most of my time chasing frogs for all the kids and trying to keep my daughter Nina from torturing them. Thank you all for treating my family like yours. Guys found out it was my birthday on Saturday and all pitched in to buy me a beautiful Damascus knife and a half a dozen arrows, I don't know of a more thoughtful group. I also received a Pappy bow, that's right I own a Pappy bow from the bow trade delivered via Clint. Thank you sir it shoots like a dream. I was also gifted a slingshot from knoll, a custom-made shirt from Dan  with a little Marshall saying on it, Staves  from Eric and Cody, had a great trade with Tony for some fire starting material, a yew stave from pearly and I'm sure I'm leaving someone out sorry about that. Here's a bunch of pictures in no particular order
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:58:36 pm by paulsemp »

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #441 on: May 29, 2016, 11:51:44 pm »
The girls posing with their new friend, my daughter Nina shooting for candy, Clint testing out the mini bows, Knolls granddaughter Riley with my little one. Thank you Riley for being such a sweetheart to my little girls.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:05:52 am by paulsemp »

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #442 on: May 29, 2016, 11:54:10 pm »
Scenery from Marshall and some late-night bow building

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #443 on: May 29, 2016, 11:56:44 pm »
Some more late-night antics, Clint floor tillering the bench seat and the kids shooting balloons for candy. Thanks again everybody my family and I will never forget it

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #444 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:34 am »
Words can't describe how great the past few days were at the Marshall shoot.  The weather turned out beautiful despite the forecast.  This year there were more wives and kids running around.  It was nice to see so many families there.  The kids were well behaved and entertaining.  Nathan must have put 500 arrows into that target at camp, Riley learned arrow making and made friends with a boy from the other camp, Scott's girls were in the creek all day long, and Paul's girls were busy chasing frogs and butterfly's.

I got to deliver a trade bow to Paul and a gift bow to Pearly.  Both were surprised and very happy with their new bows.  I was able to hand over my trade bows to Scott.  I hope they work out for you.  Bubby gave me a very cool knife.  Pearly gave me a ground hog hide and a new osage bow.  I picked up another Pearly bow from the trade blanket.  That seemed to go over pretty well.  I hope we can do it again next year.

The mini bows were fun to shoot.  They proved very capable of covering the 90 yards across the pond to the bear target.  The war bow guys found a few mini arrows that we missed.  I would have liked to hear the comments when they were picking up tiny 12" arrows in the same area as their heavy war bow arrows. 

I'm glad the Missoura guys could make it this year.  It was nice talking and working with you guys.  I finally got to meet Bubby.  He fit right in with all of us. 

I was able to get a few pictures of all the fun.

Paul and Patrick working on some bows. 

Knoll was using some Jim Beam creamer in his coffee.

Some creative bow bending.

Pearly's legs saw the sun for the first time this year.

Bill and Dan relaxing around Camp

It was cool seeing all the different types of mini bows.  The level of craftsmanship displayed was amazing.

Bubby shooting the course.

It took 3 hours to shoot a round with Bubby.  The Californian had to stop and hug every tree we walked by.

Me and Nathan doing a little target practice on my black hawk bow.

Unfortunately it went snap, crackle, pop  >:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #445 on: May 30, 2016, 12:12:28 am »
That bench seat already had some set Paul.

I forgot to thank Matt Wirwicki.  When he heard I left my yew stave in the hot box at home he brought me a set of yew billets.  What an amazing gift.  Thank you Matt!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #446 on: May 30, 2016, 08:31:45 am »
I am going to try segments to keep my thoughts separate.

First off. Thank you Mrs. Robertson for letting Bub come and play with us. What a super cool guy. We have all talked with bub for years, but you cant really know a man until you look him in his eyes and shake his hand. I can say I know Paul Robertson now.

The last few days have been some of the best in my life. It may be a long story, but Im typing it anyway, you can stop reading anytime you want. It all started after I left one super shiddy day at work on Wednesday, lots of scrambling around to allow me to leave for 3 days. Some of you read or heard about my fortunate/lucky muzzle loader hunt last winter. After dad and I cut him up I handed the hide/head over to dad so he could bring it to a friend to do a  Euro mount. Over the last 8 months I had bothered the dad every few months asking where my mount was, losing patience each time. Turns out my buddy that asked me to hunt with him on his farm that night snatched it from dads house and brought it to his taxidermist for a full shoulder mount as a gift to me. When I swung the bedroom door open Wednesday after work, he was laying on my pillow :). That changed my crappy work mood, and fast. 

Wifey and I make the trip down to Marshall. I barely get the camper level and Clinton Ha-Ha Anders hands me a bow sock. Inside is one INCREDIBLE gift. Pat's "Little Thumper"! Can you believe that? If you have been on here for a spot you remember him building it. Pat, Im honored to own it and will treasure it. Thank you my friend.

Its the giving at Marshall that never ends. Be it goods, gifts or words. It never ends. So much bow and arrow knowledge passing hands. So many gifts passing hands. Patrick might be one of the most thoughtful people walking Missourahhh, or the USA. It was a pleasure meeting you and Eric, both class acts and a joy to converse with. Funny? Oh yah! I told Pat-trick it makes Michigan to Missouri not such a far drive after all.

The live auction was good to me. I walked away with a genuine Patrick cactus quiver with a reverse twist sling, awesome work cat killer! There was a lot of very cool items getting auctioned off. I stayed for the duration and am pretty sure we raised some good coin for the club. Matt walked away with  genuine Norm Blaker atlatl dart, COOL Matt!

I was gifted a spindle and hearth from a fella I had never met. Just started talking friction fire with him and the usual, "follow me" came out of his mouth. He had nice little kits assembled in the back of his truck. I say my thank you's and walk down to talk with Scott at his booth. While looking over his turned bowls he hands me one and says, "what could you use this for?" I say maybe a change bowl or key bowl, or both! It was fairly shallow and maybe 8" round. He hands it to me and says, "Here, give this to Jean". She loves it buddy! Thank you again.

Speaking of my wife. She had an absolute great time with all the kids and her new friends. She wants to come back I guess? :) Seems every other time I walked back to the tin tent to check on her I had something in my hands. Fire kit, bowl, alcohol stoves, arrows, a bow, and the list goes on. She is excited to join me for Elm Hall, weather permitting. This was her first and wont be her last. She was totally impressed by all of you guys. Like it or not? We are VERY unique group and a very talented group of people.

Wanna hear something cool? This should tell you what we think about each other. Saturday night some jack hole across the woods starts lighting off fire works and our dogs start freaking out, debris is landing just behind our camp and that's not cool. Greg asks them to stop, they scream "Nope, sorry!" Greg takes right off towards the house through the woods and Cody and I follow to keep our buddy in good hands, like he needs help ;). Well, they light another off and Greg asks again to stop. They holler "F-U!" this time. Now they got all of us off our butts and heading that way. It was great to see. They went to far with words and a group of guys who know respect had enough. That's what I call friends. Ended up they stopped before we got there and the night settled back into fire popping and constant laughing, like it should be.

Ive never had a group of friends I feel closer to. Not even high school friends that we did some crazy stuff with. These guys are real, caring, thoughtful, giving, gracious and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

All the wives, kids and grandkids around camp made it even more special. When it boils down, that's what events like this are all about. Passing it on to the next generation to ensure it keeps going.

Im told the club received a Federal grant for improvements. Cant wait to see what Mike and the gang improve upon in the next 12 months. I know they will and I know they will do it right.  Thanks Wilder Creek Conservation Club for hosting this event.

Before anybody gets bent out of shape about Clint's Blackhawk "bow" pics. You would need to hear the full story, but you probably wont unless you where there. Trust me when I say it was a proper move by Clint. The bow and the "person" deserved it.

Thank you my friends for the arrows and the thought behind the bow. You are all very dear to me. Even you Pauly and Clint, but just sometimes and not always.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:49:06 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #447 on: May 30, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »
Yep, we are fortunate to have some generous folk in our community. And nowhere is that generosity more valuable than when bestowed on a young'un. And it often goes insufficiently recognized by us big'uns.

Fair warning . . . another wordy writeup follows.

Onebowonder, Eric, is prime example. Friday eve and into Saturday I watched him work with a teenager on a bow that was bit longer than the mini's, but still a very short piece of wood. Maybe it was the boy's 1st, don't know. But clearly, lotsa guidance was needed. Eric seemed to be there for each step. Imparting knowledge and showing gobs of patience. We left before the stick became a bow, so hope is that it was successful. But if not, that young feller went away with stronger respect for us older fellers. Good on ya, Eric!

Danzn Bar, Bill, is yet another example. My grandgirl watched Bill making his great arrows. And listened as he patiently explained each step. She's easily distracted, but remained seated next to him as though glued down. Late that eve she and I walked back to camp together. "PawPaw, that Bill knows ALOT of stuff!", she said. A few paces later, "PawPaw, think he'd make an arrow for me?" In my inimitable fashion I explained that he wouldn't likely make an arrow FOR her, but if she asked nice Bill might HELP her to make an arrow. Fast forward to next day. Bill's sitting at table with Rylie glued to his right elbow and they're working on an arrow. All the while Bill is explaining the what/why of what they're doing. Rylie may have done some of work on self nock. She definitely did the thread wrap to reinforce nock and at point end. She chose feather colors and Bill showed her how to tie them on and she tied 'em on herself ... doing better job than I myself ever have! Then the crowning glory ... a neon green (Rylie's fav color) tracer. Now, when she reaches into her quiver to withdraw an arrow, she always says "Gonna use the BEST one!"

It's easy to see this repeated over and over again at events such as Marshall. Time is our most precious resource. To watch the "grownup" guys/gals spend it with the kids is special.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:26:17 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #448 on: May 30, 2016, 07:37:52 pm »
Wow what a great 5 days with some of the best people i know. A lot of firsts for me this trip, first commercial flight, first time building bows with another bow builder, and finally to meet Pauly and Pearl, Clint, dbar, Greg(badlybent) knoll, these guys were instrumental in my going to Marshall. Also stringman patrick sticksnstones misslemaster the list is endless. Clint brought me a hhb stave he had parially worked down that i worked on and shot the course with on friday wearing the hip quiver he made for me, here is a few pics I'm still trying to catch up back home, i will post some more soon but wanted to say thanks and i will ad more

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #449 on: May 30, 2016, 08:26:08 pm »
there's some pics of pauly shooting his pappy bow and guys i shoot with, Clint had to ask me to hug that tree that's usually a private moment😋 altough everytime clint hit a tree a tear rolled down my cheek lol. It was great when he shot the steel drum just as dbar got to full draw too, you gotta watch that Indiana kid
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹