Author Topic: Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous  (Read 114694 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
« Reply #450 on: May 30, 2016, 09:22:03 pm »
yeah baby, what a great time we all had in Michigan. For starters  having the California Kid there was far out and  he's a pretty groovy dude to have around camp. ;D  Really glad you made the trip Bub, it sure made the event special for all of us there who had come to feel we knew you long before we were able to meet you in person. Hope you can make it back one day.

The fun we all had together at our big community camp was like a family reunion with good food, lots of smiling faces and never a dull moment. Without a doubt one of the most enjoyable and memorable weekends I've experienced anywhere. I don't think I could find a better group of people to hang with and it seemed everyone was comfortable in the company that had gathered there.

Didn't get a single picture sadly but have a lot of great images etched into my mind, good times indeed.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

JacksonCash

« Reply #451 on: May 30, 2016, 10:27:22 pm »
I didn't get too many pictures, too busy wrangling tiny Henry. I had a blast! Wife said it was a great trip. Next year I plan on camping at the site again, her and Henry may have other plans, but I'm gonna be there all weekend. Got some work done on a couple of bows, got to BS a bit, and learned a bunch about making arrows from river cane from Bill.
It was great to see everyone again, the weekend really gave me a case of that bow building bug.

Offline bubby

« Reply #452 on: May 30, 2016, 10:58:05 pm »
Here are a few more pics Ryan shooting while Cody, Clint and knolls granddaughter Riley wait their turn, a pic of clint coming to full draw and Mike getting his juice box on in the pavilion

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:04:30 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #453 on: May 30, 2016, 11:00:47 pm »
It looks like knoll is doing a "I'm a little teapot" dance in the second from last picture.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #454 on: May 30, 2016, 11:06:17 pm »
Sure does Clint😃 there's a pic of matt shooting his hornbow in the mini challenge

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #455 on: May 30, 2016, 11:26:59 pm »
fixed it for ya, eh.

. . . . . Clint coming to full draw . . . .

:o      ::)      :o
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:33:06 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #456 on: May 30, 2016, 11:39:50 pm »
Finally got everything unpacked and my brothers pickup and camper returned. My wife Susie, my grandson Charlie and myself had a fantastic time. I was a little nervous before we went about my skill level and all of my homemade equipment. I had no one I ever meet who I could even compare it to our shoot it with. I somehow missed out on the mini shoot but shot the jug and bear across the pond. I really only had 5 arrows for the jug and I tried to take my time and make them count, as I shot my last arrow I turned and said I'm out of arrows. I saw Frank ( moose the rock vender ) running up to me with his quiver full of arrows and said no you aren't. I actually made it to the next round and shoot against Gary. It was a total honor when he walked up to me shook my hand looked over my bow and complimented it and my shooting. I can't tell you enough how much I enjoyed the entire experience, everyone and I mean EVERYONE was so nice. I didn't get nearly as many things done as I planed but I was so happy that my cousin Kevin and his wife Diane came. Dave the tee- shirt guy had trouble with his airbrush and we helped him get it going which turned into an all afternoon adventure. Dave had a couple Atl Atl's and darts and let Kevin throw them till his arm would fall off. Throwing an Atl Atl has been on Kevin's bucket list forever. Kevin and Diane both said they are planing on coming next year and not only that but they really enjoyed Marshall and thought they'd return to camp there other times too. My cousins Greg also came on his motorcycle Saturday morning, he also totally enjoyed the experience and won a fire starter kit from the raffle. My bow arrow and knapping budget went from $11.62 to considerably more. I got a great pair of prairie rattlesnake skins from Scott in the afternoon and another Unbelievablly beautiful pair from the auction Saturday night. Thanks for donation Mike. Pearl gave me a pair of Osage billets and a nice chunk of leather from a couch he rescued from the side of the road for a HHB stave he wouldn't have taken but he gave it to Bill. Clint gave me a beautiful side quiver for some goose primaries and turkey secondaries I really think I got way to good of a deal. Everybody was so generous, I sure hope I get this right it all happened so fast if I remember right and I'm truly sorry if I'm wrong on the next couple. I think it was Patrick gave me a Fred Bare broad head halvted to a deer antler with a beautiful buckskin sheath. I think it was Badly bent that gave me a nice beaver hide. I brought some fresh HHB and look forward to seeing some bows posted and hopefully in person in the years to come. I got some Hickory which I know nothing about other than its suppose to be a good bow wood so I'll probably be asking some questions about in the future. My grandson Charlie wants to shoot bow so much that he has a hard time slowing down enough for me to show him how. The 1st day we tried to shoot the bow I made for his cousins d he got a bit frustrated and kind of gave up. The next morning we were walking to the pavilion when we saw this boy about his age shooting his bow. We stopped and watched his form was near perfect. I said to Charlie see how he holds the bow. We kept his watching I said see how he pulls the string to the corner of his mouth. We kept watching , I said see how he keeps his elbow up and holds the string with 3 fingers. Charlie whispered in my ear "I want to shoot my bow grandpa" the little boy Luke and his grandpa Bruce followed us to get Charlie's bow and shoot with us. This time was totally deferent and Charlie did much better. After awhile Luke asked his grandpa if he could catch frogs with Charlie and in a flash they were gone. Our last night we went to bed a little earlier but l couldn't sleep I just layed there thinking about all the fun we had and people we meet and planing things for next year. I can't wait I got a lot of stuff to get ready.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #457 on: May 31, 2016, 04:42:19 am »
Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories, looks like everyone had a great time, sorry I missed it. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #458 on: May 31, 2016, 07:34:49 am »
Few more pics

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #459 on: May 31, 2016, 08:49:54 am »
A great time at Marshall, this long weekend.  Didn't take but a few pics of the mini bows.  Was great to meet Bubby from California.  Onebowonder from Missouri.  Enjoyed conversations with Patrick who I previously met at the Classic; a real stand-up fella.  All the other buddies, BBent, OOutlaw, PDrums, BGuy, Knoll, MMaster, PSemp, JCash, Andrew, Dan, OBow, DBar, BRogg, SnStones, Stringman, CGault, NBlaker, Jeez Louise, the list goes on.  Your all a top-shelf crew.  Many kids, grandkids were seen at the shoot, and a big shout out to all the wives who seemed to really enjoy themselves.  The "Little Woman" thanks me after every bow camping weekend for including her in what she says is the best life, ever.  The camaraderie surrounding this primitive/traditional sport of ours is second to none.  I'm very privileged to be able to mingle with all you all's. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #460 on: May 31, 2016, 09:11:39 am »
I'm sorry I see I typed Mike instead of Matt for the skins. I'll be posting vol. 2 later. I too would very much like to thank all the mothers, grandmothers, kids, and grandkids for being such great company.if I got anything anybody gave me wrong please let me know with a PM I'd like to make a note of where everything came from.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #461 on: May 31, 2016, 10:09:18 am »
Just letting ya'll know that us "Missourahhh"  boys made it home safely. Dropped Eric off at his place and I got home at 230 am. We are an hour behind ya'll so that would be 330 to all you northerners.   
More to come later after I get unpacked.

Patrick 
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubby

« Reply #462 on: May 31, 2016, 10:38:24 am »
It was great meeting you boys Patrick, thanks for the use of the caul i appreciate it

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #463 on: May 31, 2016, 11:34:38 am »
Yeah, i second what bubby said. Thanx for the upteen time's i used that caul and clamps. You Missourah boys are tha real deal.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #464 on: May 31, 2016, 11:55:11 am »
I'll third that Mr. Stones. I didn't like either one them ya-hoo's until I shook their hands eh'. Now I have two new friends.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.