Author Topic: 1st Annual PA Invitational 2016  (Read 333510 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: 1st Annual PA Invitational 2016
« Reply #390 on: February 29, 2016, 08:50:44 am »
Drumster:  That BL looks real sexy.  It will be interesting to hear how it changes after heat treating.  It's tough sometimes deciding whether to leave a bow as is or to go further with it. 

PatB:  Looking great.  Sure like the profile of Skinny Mini.

BB:  Good looking VM piece.  Vine maple is challenging for me.  But they're real nice when done.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Stringman

« Reply #391 on: February 29, 2016, 08:56:59 am »
Love the profile on that un, Pappy! You ain't far from shootin on her.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #392 on: February 29, 2016, 09:05:34 am »
Nice curves pappy....that's lookin great!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2016, 10:21:49 pm »
Well I've got a stave picked out for my victim. From a wood I don't think I've ever seen posted in PA before😏
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #394 on: March 03, 2016, 04:30:31 am »
Got mine out to 38@18 yesterday, right on target as of now, if all goes well should be shooting it in by the weekend. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #395 on: March 03, 2016, 07:12:28 am »
Mine is about wrapped up. I need to rub in one more coat of finish and stitch a grip on. I'll shoot it for a few days, then send her away.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #396 on: March 03, 2016, 07:42:01 pm »
I've removed bark and sapwood on 5 osage staves, 1 buckthorn stave and 1 black locust stave looking for what I want and none of those seven staves made the grade.  :(   That sapwood removal on seasoned staves is a work out on the arms, especially with
the locust. Hope my strength holds out until I find what I'm looking for.  ;D
Plenty of time left though so all is good.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #397 on: March 03, 2016, 09:55:41 pm »
I've removed bark and sapwood on 5 osage staves, 1 buckthorn stave and 1 black locust stave looking for what I want and none of those seven staves made the grade.  :(   That sapwood removal on seasoned staves is a work out on the arms, especially with
the locust. Hope my strength holds out until I find what I'm looking for.  ;D
Plenty of time left though so all is good.

I know what you mean bud. I've been working down some Osage sap and bark staves that are about 3 months old. It's like trying to take a rubber sole off of my work boots wit a draw knife!  I'm a little sore to say the least.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #398 on: March 04, 2016, 02:06:35 pm »
Get that band saw ordered yet, Greg? :)

That locust you gave me is what I used for my trade bow. That's good, dense locust. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #399 on: March 04, 2016, 02:19:00 pm »
Well i think i saw a piece of gregs locust in the rack yesterday, gonna have to get that down
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #400 on: March 04, 2016, 07:56:40 pm »
What bubby,  you think I sent you the good stuff? >:D >:D

Offline bubby

« Reply #401 on: March 04, 2016, 08:59:13 pm »
I didn't say that Greg, infact i know its not i think its that first pc you sent, but all the wood you've sent has been good to me👍
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #402 on: March 04, 2016, 10:13:13 pm »
Yeah the batch that Chris is talking about was good stuff,  that stuff from the year before wasn't quite the same quality.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #403 on: March 04, 2016, 10:50:54 pm »
Well, I roughed out a really nice high ring count yew stave only to find a ring separation crack running the length of the stave.  :( that's not going to get sent out to anybody.

Plan b is another nice yew stave that I roughed out tonight. Once I was finished on the bandsaw I saw a hole going clean through the limb, too close to the edge for comfort.  :-\ I'm considering doing a plug. We'll see. Feeling a little discouraged right now.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #404 on: March 06, 2016, 12:46:12 pm »
Here is the continue of my attempt (from page 22):
The stick was tillered, sanded and put in the fuming pipe for five days. I tried again to get a faded coloring and this time it went much better than in my recurve project (Nr. 70). I always let the stick damp out at least so long as it was in the pipe. In the meantime I worked on the handle. I didn't like the straight geometric lines of the handle and did several glued on pieces of leather for a mor sculpural look. But it all came out very bulky, so I decided for a extra thin salmon leather and some pieces leather laces to work out some finger grooves. The leather is more or less white, you can see the first layer of yellow color. Later more colors were applied to make it matching with the tips.The handle leather is soaked for 20 min and simple glued on. No stitching to remain as slim as possible. I use steel clamps from the bureau, these are wonderful tools – I use them often.

After the dampening out days the first finish layers are applied. Here are 4 on, another 4 will follow but will not change the look.

No F/D pic, this is reserved for the new owner. In this case I dunno want to shot in this bow,  will also be reserved for Mr. X. So I will send out this bow as a virgin, I hope this is the right decision. We will see.

Here you can see the faded out coloring and the finished handle stain.

Some details from sleeves and handle. The arrow pass is black dyed stingray leather, the bone pearls are filed down a bit to get that look

This is how the leather looked like with the first groung yellow and finished with several stains:

Two matching loadstones are mounted at the connection cuts to achieve a gentle click when put together.

One part of the notes on the lower limb

Some pics from the sister stave limbs

And some details from the tips. If you watch closely, you can see three rings are the kinda natural grown overlay. This allows cutting through the back and making the tips very slim. The notches ae highlighted in dark red, the only color on the wood.

Now I hold the fingers crossed and really hope I've nailed what my recipient likes …...

So, this was the story. All I have to do is another 4 layers of finish.
I do a short notice when I send the baby out.

Specs:

58” ntn
45-50#/ 28” (not shot in, yet)
1¼” max width
510 grams mass wood + 190 grams sleeves, total 700 grams
Simon
Bavaria, Germany