Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 698312 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1845 on: March 05, 2016, 10:21:53 pm »
Loope, I had the same results on an osage that I was hoping to use. I tried to get too much out on one clamping session. Now I try to clamp them snug and then add clamping pressure in stages as I work the heat gun up and down the stave.

I did use loctite 420 and add saw dust before clamping tight. I'm going to see if I can get mine to at least work at a lower poundage bow that I'll keep at home.

Hate to see that happen to you as it was looking very promising. I think a guy needs to work the woopdedoos out slowly in stages. It's just too much stress to try to force it all at once.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Loope

« Reply #1846 on: March 05, 2016, 10:32:24 pm »
I am going to switch over to the dogwood, which seems very straight... very much different that this red bud.  The red bud was getting interesting and I was looking forward to getting it tillered and shooting. Maybe I will keep it around to see what I can do to it later.

The dogwood is debarked and the cambium cleaned off, ready for layout and the hatchet, but unfortunately I won't be able to do any bow work till next weekend.  I am looking forward to giving it a try, it is a pretty good looking, with an interesting, slightly pinkish hue. 

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #1847 on: March 06, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
Here is an character elm I am thinking of throwing into the mix of possibilitys Seems to really shoot nice even with the bottom limb twist. What do you think?

Offline hammertime

« Reply #1848 on: March 06, 2016, 03:40:44 pm »
 one more... and nice bows everyone!!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #1849 on: March 06, 2016, 03:51:05 pm »
 hammer,
                Ya gotta yank that one back for us :o
                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1850 on: March 06, 2016, 04:10:25 pm »
Hammer, love to see the draw on that when it's ready.

Loope, you haven't been the only one to screw up a good stave. I may have ruined one of the nicest osage staves I've had today. Pics to follow later. It may still be a keeper but I no longer plan on using it for a trade bow. I messed it up dry heating curves and must have rushed my bending although it should have been plenty hot enough. It even split between the ring on the top limb tip. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid ME!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1851 on: March 06, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
Damned Fred, I'll bet ya save it......short bendy with sinew 8) I aint got a single thing to say about making those "what the hell was I thinking" moves

Hammer, that has to be the most squirrely piece a wood I ever seen with a string on it, it's so cool 8)
rich

Offline hammertime

« Reply #1852 on: March 06, 2016, 04:21:36 pm »
 ok  I will proceed but it' s only to brace yet....Think I will add a layer or two of sinew first-Hammertime

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1853 on: March 06, 2016, 05:03:35 pm »
It can be repaired. Ask me how I know.  :-X

Too big a hurry and it was 85% completed.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1854 on: March 06, 2016, 05:19:22 pm »
Fred ew there a bad one

Hammer time if that bow had a skin on it it would look just like a snake on the ground

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #1855 on: March 06, 2016, 05:38:36 pm »
I had it looking pretty good

Then it broke a inch away from my target draw :'( :'(
All well back to the honeysuckle. I'm also going to rough out another stave incase it doesn't make weight.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1856 on: March 06, 2016, 05:47:38 pm »
BIG BUMMER Dylan.  Yeah, that bend was looking really nice.  I had that happen last week with a hickory kid's bow.  Why does it have to happen when you're almost finished? 
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1857 on: March 06, 2016, 06:00:18 pm »
Awwwe man dylan!!! That was really coming along!  Tough breaks all around fellas!  I'm working on a third project now...might keep this one semi covert until I'm closer with it.  Gonna wait till its a little warmer to bend the tips on plan b.  Plan a is still just waiting for further tillering.  Plan c....now that will be a couple firsts for me  >:D

Offline half eye

« Reply #1858 on: March 06, 2016, 06:13:54 pm »
Dylan, for what it is worth sir......your tiller looked damned fine, certainly not enough off to warrant that break.......looks like that cluster of pin knots did ya in (judging by the look of the grain inside the break). Stuff like that is why old men cuss so damned good >:D (Cause we done it more than you :-X)
rich

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1859 on: March 06, 2016, 07:06:42 pm »
Dang - looks like we had a rough day in the bow trade!  It happens to all of us!  All a guy can do is start another. >:( >:( 

HT - that bow is crazy snakey!  :laugh:  Can't wait to see it bending!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch