Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 698300 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2445 on: April 11, 2016, 12:33:14 pm »

Starting laying some shellac down.  That ebonizing/aging effect looks even better with a little shine to it.  I tried a lot of new things with this bow, but I experimented with scraps before going right to the bow.  It definitely made a difference.

One of my least favorite things to do is letter a bow.  I read one of Gordon's posts and saw that his wife does his lettering.   If I let my gf do it, it would look like a 5 yr old wrote on the bow.   I will be experimenting with a couple different types of pens and media on some scraps before laying down the final print.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2446 on: April 11, 2016, 01:18:34 pm »
Ajooter what the heck. This bow will be a show piece!  What type of wood is that again?  I like the detail of the wood grain on the fades. Looks real good and even

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2447 on: April 11, 2016, 01:23:40 pm »
Writing on a bow is my least favorite thing to,  but I figure since I made it I should sign it. That sure is pretty jooter!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #2448 on: April 11, 2016, 01:26:02 pm »
My writing is unreadable so I made a woodburning stamp with my initials on it. I get that on crooked :-[ :-[

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2449 on: April 11, 2016, 02:00:02 pm »
Nice bow ajooter, and what are you vaping? Unless of course that 18650 battery is for a flashlight, in that case ignore me, lol.

Online Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2450 on: April 11, 2016, 02:02:31 pm »
A lot of my bows in the past are unsigned because I thought it made it look crappy.  I recently bought a caligraphy pen and black acrylic ink.  I practiced on some paper and then some past unsigned bows.  My caligraphy skills came back pretty quickly (I had learned caligraphy in elementary school).  I think I am now ready to sign my trade bow.

Ajooter, what did you use for your wrapping material on the ends of your rawhide?  I have to do something similar on my trade bow and I want it to be dark like yours.by the way, that bow is really looking beautiful.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2451 on: April 11, 2016, 02:12:13 pm »
The bow is hickory...handle lam from the bottom up is zebrwood...bloodwood and purpleheart.   Tips overlays are antler.

Wrappings are I believe just a thin leather..maybe kangaroo leather..I get it for hobby lobby.

Urufu haha...yeah I'm vaping..trying to quit smoking.  I do have a headlamp I can use the batteries for too  ;)

I may try to use my wood burner along the fades for the signing will see.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2452 on: April 11, 2016, 05:45:54 pm »
Some exceptional work going on here crew. Sorry about my hiatus the past few days. I caught a severe case of sinusitis and haven't been able to sleep or stay awake and certainly wasn't capable of any comprehensive correspondence.

There are a handful of unscrupulous individuals who kept sending me packages and I think all of the stress related to them caused this terrible system imbalance. I think I'd have been fine if they would have allowed me to open them as they arrived but of course that wouldn't satisfy their rules. Thus I became anxious and it no doubt affected my blood pressure and other facilities keeping my body in balance.

Anyway, the final package arrived today and after opening them I immediately began feeling much better. It's utterly amazing what relieving built up stress and worry can do to improves ones psyche.

All of you involved in this completely outdid yourselves. I don't believe I've ever had a finer  gift and
appreciate your generosity. Hopefully this slide show will work and then I will post some accolades and further information.

Thank you very much!!!!
http://s190.photobucket.com/user/Bowferd/slideshow/2016%20Primitive%20Archer%20Bow%20Trade
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2453 on: April 11, 2016, 06:03:50 pm »
I don't see anything fred  :(

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2454 on: April 11, 2016, 06:40:41 pm »
Wow -  those were some nice packages!!!  Very nice gentlemen!!!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2455 on: April 11, 2016, 06:46:05 pm »
Jeff - the yew is looking great!

Dylan - sorry to see the tip give on your bow.  Looks to me like the wood had to give first and then the glue.  I do know a lot of guys use superglue and many don't have issues.  Personally I don't like using it on overlays on wooden bows.  I just don't get my surfaces to join up close enough.  I use smooth on epoxy - it fills some minor gaps - and have never had an overlay come off.  Good luck with it!

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline half eye

« Reply #2456 on: April 11, 2016, 06:54:22 pm »
Gee Mr. Fred...."unscrupulous" well sir, I resemble that remark  8) hope ya like them enough to hunt them, they will look better with hair, blood and fat all over. 
rich

Online Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2457 on: April 11, 2016, 06:56:45 pm »
Fred, you got yourself some very nice packages right there.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2458 on: April 11, 2016, 07:08:20 pm »
I'm trying to get my wits together so that I can do a little write up on what and who but my head just won't cooperate with me yet. I'm still all stuffed up inside with headaches to boot.

I will say that I've made and sold a lot of arrows in my time and this set is nicer than anything I've ever made or owned. Hours and hours of skilled labor went into this endeavor from everyone involved.

I can't thank you all enough. You all know who you are and I'll let everyone else know shortly.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2459 on: April 11, 2016, 07:30:00 pm »
Nice gifts Fred. Those should be good hunting weapons.