Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 702093 times)

Offline Sidmand

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2640 on: April 25, 2016, 09:37:38 am »
ok, thanks Fred!  I was going to build a caul anyway, I built a shaving horse yesterday - I think I overbuilt it a bit cause it's about 7 1/2 feet long and weighs about 50 pounds; I had treated lumber left over from fixing my fence ;).

I will get that caul built and then get that stave under control.  I'm thinking I might be able to get the caul done tomorrow evening, and then just heat the stave up over the week, so I can flip the tips this weekend maybe.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2641 on: April 25, 2016, 11:21:55 am »
when are we supposed to mail out our bows?
finished an English style long bow from hickory but I don't know when to send it out
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2642 on: April 25, 2016, 12:43:07 pm »
Kid bow. Post some pics let's see it. You need to pm Fred and see if your allowed to ship it. He will get back asap

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2643 on: April 25, 2016, 01:12:41 pm »
Will do
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2644 on: April 25, 2016, 02:36:32 pm »
Sorry guys, I'm swamped with other work that needs tending and am not going to be around much for the next week.

kidbow, even though you may be ready to ship you're recipient isn't finished with the bow he has to send out yet  ;D so you'll need to wait awhile. Also the person sending to you needs to be a little closer to finish.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2645 on: April 25, 2016, 07:11:19 pm »
Now Fred I don't if we can allow you to be off that long. 😆

Has anybody left for the classic yet? I would like to make it. Maybe if I can get a few more items done this week maybe I can sneek down there for a day.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2646 on: April 25, 2016, 08:48:38 pm »
I need a little help with one.  This Osage has a knot that has been worked out but the tip is going downhill and I was wondering if it can be steamed out or up?  I've tried heat but that didn't work. It's about 10" from the tip. Let me know what y'all think. Thank you for the feed back in advance.

Timothy,
              Good advice from Fred...I have a cure for you...Recently had an identical deflexed area on a piece of Osage...It took 5-7 minutes steaming and held in place for a few minutes while it cooled...It bent like butter and was a 1/2" thick...I learned this from "half eye" on a past thread and it works...my wife didn't appreciate the orange water drops and I also blamed that on "half eye" >:D
                                                                                                                             Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2647 on: April 25, 2016, 09:35:20 pm »
Don I like your gloves your using. Lol

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2648 on: April 25, 2016, 09:37:46 pm »
 My wife didn't, they turned orange, LOL >:D...I got that look, ya know what I mean?
                                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2649 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:14 pm »
Don, I think you learned that from the master of steam bending by hand. I haven't done it yet but it's going to be used shortly. I keep getting whamdoozled by using only dry heat.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2650 on: April 25, 2016, 09:46:24 pm »
 Fred,
         Your right Sir, Rich only uses 5 minutes of steam and it works...I like to use steam on big sharp bends and then go to dry heat on the caul for tweeking...I'm like you, doing a lot in one big run with dry heat has caused some issues for me around character areas...On a real bugger of a stave I will steam first and then dry tweek ;)
                                                                                                                                          Don

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2651 on: April 25, 2016, 10:06:07 pm »
GUTSHOT, my man, your victim is excited and delighted.  Got your bow today and love it.  I've been busting my butt all day getting ready to leave for the Classic early in the morning but HAD to fling a few arrows with it.  Sweet!  And it's even sweeter that Lauren made the string and bow sock.  This will always be a special bow......and she's going to the Classic with me.  Looking forward to shooting her some more.

Many thanks Paul

PS: My daughter is named Lauren too :-)

I tried to upload a pic, but Photobucket is having problems tonight......have to do it later.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:30:12 pm by Drewster »
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2652 on: April 26, 2016, 04:28:18 am »
Drewster I'm glad you like it and hope it serves you well. That was a tough one to build, never built a 30" draw bow before. Seek advice from half eye he mentioned a bendy handle and explained to me how to build one. So you got my first attempt at a bendy handle so I could get that super long draw of yours. :) Lauren has been asking if you got it. So tonight when I see her I will let her read your post.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2653 on: April 26, 2016, 06:22:15 am »
Photobucket is working this morning.  They were doing maintenance last night.  Here's my second shot with the bow using one of my cane arrows.  You did a fine job on your first bendy handle.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #2654 on: April 26, 2016, 06:57:18 am »
Drewster, hell man with your luck ya better go and get a lotto ticket, too 8) 8) Good for both of you fellas . Gutshot that is a very fine bow sir.
rich