Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693595 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1560 on: February 21, 2016, 09:09:56 pm »
Well I ended up with a minor problem with my trade bow so I gave it a backing of raw hide and mummy fide it. Hopefully that ole BL will be ok. Any ways here's the last pic you guys will see of it until it comes out of the fummer Thursday then I will post pics of a before and after

Offline half eye

« Reply #1561 on: February 21, 2016, 09:12:27 pm »
This is where the left looks stiff to me sir......but they do call me "half-eye" >:D
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #1562 on: February 21, 2016, 09:14:48 pm »
Gutshot,   looks like ya fixed that little bugger......cant wait to see the color sir.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1563 on: February 21, 2016, 09:15:04 pm »
Rich when did the Sioux start branding air tools 😃

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1564 on: February 21, 2016, 09:26:37 pm »
I'll give it a go sir....your half eye is better then both of my good ones anyway.  ;)

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1565 on: February 21, 2016, 09:43:28 pm »
Drewster,
        I took the liberty of putting a mark on your pic. I think that a few scrapes there on the "strong side" of the limb will go a long way to helping with the twist and evening out the bend. It looks like the strong side is against the chalkboard.
       Take a look at it and make your own judgement sir.....
rich

Rich, yep, think you are correct.  I'll work on that tomorrow.  The twist in the left limb was like that in the stave.  It straightens out again at the tip.  Hope I can get some of the twist out when I heat treat.  Doesn't look to great.  Thanks for your feedback.  Drew
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #1566 on: February 21, 2016, 10:43:20 pm »
When is the ship date?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1567 on: February 21, 2016, 10:52:12 pm »
Hey drew....sometimes trying to tiller your way through the twist first is a better option.  As you thin the limbs down and continue tillering sometimes it just works itself out.  Just my 2 cents.  I'm working hickory right now as well....it can be stubborn stuff.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1568 on: February 21, 2016, 11:02:21 pm »
Hey drew....sometimes trying to tiller your way through the twist first is a better option.  As you thin the limbs down and continue tillering sometimes it just works itself out.  Just my 2 cents.  I'm working hickory right now as well....it can be stubborn stuff.

Ajooter, I wanted to heat treat before I tillered any further.  I was hoping that would get some of the twist out and then proceed with tillering.  I usually heat treat after floor tillering and even before I get to my first brace.  What do you think?
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #1569 on: February 21, 2016, 11:08:51 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates guys.
I haven't done much to my trade bow. Took a little break from it, so I didn't get ahead of myself. Hopefully I'll get to working on it again here soon! :)
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1570 on: February 21, 2016, 11:11:55 pm »
That's exactly how I usually do it.  Twist is tough though.  I just made a fine hickory bow...didn't get all the twist out during heat treatment but close.

I placed a pipe wrench on the limb with a wooden wedge to protect the limb and tied a rope to the end of it.  As I started heat treating it I continually pulled the rope down and tied it off as I worked my way down the limb.

Good luck sir!

Offline half eye

« Reply #1571 on: February 22, 2016, 06:30:38 am »
Drewster,
      If that is how you usually do it then I say to carry on that way.....usually folks tend to stick with what works for them. I have never heat treated on a caul, not ever so I'm not in a position to say that's not the way to do it.  I tend to run my mouth based on how I do things.....so it is entirely possible that your way is better sir 8)

Gutshot,  Hell man I didn't know when they started casting metal. You got a wicked sense of humor sir ;)

Turtle, I sure hope my guy likes it and thank you

A big thank you to all of you fellas, for letting me in this trade cause all of you have give me back the fire in my belly for building bows again. 8)

rich
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:56:30 am by half eye »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #1572 on: February 22, 2016, 08:31:44 am »
 Rich,
         Cant wait to see that Osage snake come to life bud...
                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #1573 on: February 22, 2016, 09:02:26 am »
I resealed the back on PlanA with some white glue, so that it didn't get any checks.  I wanted to start chasing a ring on PlanB this weekend, but life sort of got in the way.  It is still needing to dry some anyways, so it's fine for now.  God willing, I'm going to split some off the belly of PlanA this week, in hopes to get the whole stave a mostly uniform 7/8ish thick, then get it floor tillered.  It's raining here now, will be for the next day or so.  I know you northern guys have been getting hammered with the snow, we have gotten drowned with rain this winter.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #1574 on: February 22, 2016, 01:47:43 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates, with work and life interfering I get maybe a half hour to work on the stave at a time and it feels like I have barely made any progress.  Slowly whittling away the sapwood still.  Each time I pick it up though, it does feel a bit lighter.