Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 696308 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1635 on: February 25, 2016, 12:06:00 pm »
Stuck,
I'm kinda thinkin that design might not hold up as well. Adding a piece to the back of the riser that covers the first couple inches of the limbs might be enough to keep it together, kinda like a removable power lam. I'd probably make it from a leg bone cut down the middle and flat sanded or two or three lamentations of the strongest wood you can find. It would be stronger if it were glued up permanently, but heavy wrapping or a series of small bolts may work. Having the two limbs meet in the middle of the riser with a matched angle cut would also add to the overall strength. The lam would then go over the joint.
I'm not trying to do your build for you. That's just what my instinct says needs to happen prior to attempting to draw that one. There is also the option of a complete re-design of the riser. You could try that design just to see what happens first, but I'd hate to see you damage the limbs and have to restart the whole project from scratch if something goes wrong.
I built a riser for a takedown about a year ago and never got around to making the limbs. I'm waiting until I come across some osage boards. Give me a chance to dig it out and take a few pics. It might help you out if you decide to rebuild the riser. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1636 on: February 25, 2016, 12:47:27 pm »
Thanks guys, this is not my trade bow, it's the test mule for me to learn enough to do the trade properly, so I may as well give it a go.

Why do limbs have to have fades? Mine do fade in that the hollow limb fades to straight across, is that a fade? I can see this riser is a bit weedy but why the do risers need to be at least 13 inch long? The limbs are not being buried and the limb beds are just over 3" long....

This is a big learn for me so any and all advice very welcome

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1637 on: February 25, 2016, 01:00:44 pm »
I tend to agree with the issues raised, stuck. I also think epoxied in brass pins could be a problem if you re eliminating heads on one side by doing that and depending on adhesion rather than mechanical backup for this type of fastening. Sorry just an opinion, since you asked for them -- not intended as a discouragement to an experiment if precautions are taken.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline bubby

« Reply #1638 on: February 25, 2016, 01:05:50 pm »
Well first off the weakest part of the riser is where you are putting the bolt, all the forces will meet there and not inly is it the thinesst part but there just ain't enough meat on the bone where the bolt goes. A longer riser gets the limb out of the riser where the sight window goes i have built quite a few all wood 3 pc bows and the shorter risers just don't work good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1639 on: February 25, 2016, 01:17:27 pm »
3" beds + 4" handle gets you to 10". Add about 1" between the limb beds and the grip and your at 12", plus.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1640 on: February 25, 2016, 01:26:18 pm »
This is the riser I carved out of a glued up block. It's a modern design, but you could devolve it into something more primitive.

If you skip the deep shelf, the riser can be made narrower front to back.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1641 on: February 25, 2016, 01:28:29 pm »
Good example.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1642 on: February 25, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »
stuck google Gaurd Inserts. These would be awesome for a take down. They are self tapping inserts but if I was to use them after I got them threaded into the riser I wound take them back out and put epoxy on the treads and make a brass plate for the back side of the limb so the bolt heads wouldn't pull into the wood. I would use two per limb. My 2cents worth.  I actually have 4 of these with Brass flat head bolts I was thinking of using one of these days

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1643 on: February 25, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »
Binghams sells a complete 3 pc hardware set for $16. Threaded inserts, cap screws, bezels, plastic washers and alignment pins.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1644 on: February 25, 2016, 02:25:31 pm »

Nice and simple, the binghams iit it good on this i used tee nuts buried between tge walnut and hickory
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline half eye

« Reply #1645 on: February 25, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »
Hey mr. Stuck.....here's a different way to do it but maybe just a few hundred years earlier 8) 8)

This is the "Khrotan Bow" and some others that were made the same way (so it aint a one off. Some food for thought if it fits into your plans at all.....if not ya aint out anything,eh?

Bunch of pictures
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #1646 on: February 25, 2016, 02:58:27 pm »
next batch

Offline half eye

« Reply #1647 on: February 25, 2016, 02:59:20 pm »
last couple

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1648 on: February 25, 2016, 03:38:40 pm »
That's the devolved, angle cut, bone support style I was thinking of exactly. Rich seems to always have the old school example.

That being said Rich, you don't have any info on the Eire Indian weapons and tools? The were absorbed into the other Iroquois nations after the Beaver Wars. Not a lot of info is available about their tribe specific artifacts from before they disappeared. If I can't find anything unique I'll go with Seneca or a more generic Iroquois design. You can email me whatever you may have already dug up. No need to do any in depth research on my account. 
~Terrance McKenna

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1649 on: February 25, 2016, 08:43:21 pm »
Plan b fwd handle Osage

I narrowed the limbs down to 1 1/4" this got rid of 95% of the tear out

Still feel like I got plenty of weight. Got the twist out of 1 limb tonight also got good string alignment.

Got the natural tip overlays worked in and string groves worked in tonight also.

This weekend I'm gonna build a special caul for this crazy bow to heat treat some reflex in to the limbs.

Checked on the progress of the fuming on the BL after work. Flipped the bow 180 added a new can full of ammonia. It's got a really nice color so tomorrow night it will come out and rest for 4 days.

Anyways I will leave you all alone with some pics of the Osage.