Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693642 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1650 on: February 25, 2016, 09:13:19 pm »
A lot of awesome bows bending. I'm hoping that my work schedule should open up soon. Been working lots of 12-16 hour days this month so I havnt got much accomplished yet. But this next month my schedule opens up more since I had my boss knock my hours back. Atleast it's given the sinew time to cure on the ERC, though it started to rip some cracks open on they belly of one limb making it reflex more than the other.

Kyle

Offline pincushin

« Reply #1651 on: February 25, 2016, 09:20:04 pm »
wow you guys are moving so fast i got 3 weeks at home coming up but the next two weeks of school is just a single class i will have black smithing class for the next two weeks then three weeks at home to build a bow

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1652 on: February 25, 2016, 09:25:52 pm »
I'm in love with the gut!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1653 on: February 25, 2016, 09:29:04 pm »
The osage is looking good Gutshot - I like the way the tips are turning out!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1654 on: February 25, 2016, 09:32:51 pm »
The osage is looking good Gutshot - I like the way the tips are turning out!

I would second that.  Those tips look great Gut

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1655 on: February 25, 2016, 09:36:42 pm »
I'm in love with the gut!

Sorry ajooter Im married lol

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1656 on: February 25, 2016, 09:52:32 pm »
Gut, love those tips. OK, got my hack to 47# @ 25". But... Its gonna be a bow, but i 'm not gonna send it out. Had an appifanity , read back a couple pages and a couple guys talkin about simplicity. I've been tryin to build above my ability. So gonna step back and start over. My plan C is gonna be a straight forward selfbow. Hopefully it turns out. Hackberry, 66". 2" at thee fades taperin to 1/2" tips. My progress will slow down because i have to go back to basics re-asses what i'm doin and not force somethin that might or might not work out.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1657 on: February 25, 2016, 10:00:57 pm »
There's tons of time left. Get a simple well built bow you'd be happy to send out, then experiment. That way your "back up" is done. An unfamiliar build doesn't need the added pressure of a deadline. I have a couple off the wall ideas semi-underway for when the rock elm has officially reached bow status. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1658 on: February 25, 2016, 10:01:57 pm »
Gut, love those tips. OK, got my hack to 47# @ 25". But... Its gonna be a bow, but i 'm not gonna send it out. Had an appifanity , read back a couple pages and a couple guys talkin about simplicity. I've been tryin to build above my ability. So gonna step back and start over. My plan C is gonna be a straight forward selfbow. Hopefully it turns out. Hackberry, 66". 2" at thee fades taperin to 1/2" tips. My progress will slow down because i have to go back to basics re-asses what i'm doin and not force somethin that might or might not work out.

Nothing wrong with that. Simple is usually the best in my book. Heck those engines back in the day made simple bows and they killed buffalo.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1659 on: February 25, 2016, 10:32:29 pm »
A straight forward selfbow is actually my favorite bow out there. Its a bow i've nevered mastered. Made a few than started to try and up my game. Got lucky a few times but never felt real comfortable. So i'm just gonna start at the root and grow feom there.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1660 on: February 25, 2016, 10:36:14 pm »
Stix, the main thing is you yourself are happy with what you made. You're the one that counts. That will happen for sure because you keep at it.

Gutshot really enjoying your build!

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1661 on: February 25, 2016, 11:13:20 pm »
Dont worry my victim will get a well built bow. Functional an astetic. Just gonna make sure all steps are covered and it's the best I can do.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1662 on: February 25, 2016, 11:56:29 pm »
Man everyone is doing good!

Gut,  I'm glad that you got that tear out all fixed up. Looks like you are going to have a great bow out of that Osage! Loving those tips! I've always wanted to try that and never have.

Looks like there is a good group of people here that is willing to help and support each other. But I also looks like the participants have thinned down some.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1663 on: February 26, 2016, 07:11:51 am »
Hey mr. Stuck.....here's a different way to do it but maybe just a few hundred years earlier 8) 8)

This is the "Khrotan Bow" and some others that were made the same way (so it aint a one off. Some food for thought if it fits into your plans at all.....if not ya aint out anything,eh?

Bunch of pictures
rich

Hi Rich,

sorry to be a bit dense, the Khrotan Bow- is it a long splice with a cover plate, or just a long spliced joint?

Andrew

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1664 on: February 26, 2016, 08:09:45 am »
Never mind !

found this http://www.atarn.org/chinese/khotan_bow.htm

fascinating!