Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 691136 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1695 on: February 27, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »
Nice art Hammer!

Tim, that is looking really good to me.

Fred, I think rich had a similar issue on a sinew bow he worked on. that could be a real zinger!
I've had that happen in the last trade I was in 2 years ago on a buckthorn/sinew and somehow went from barely stringable to lightweight. I think I was too long on the long string and once I got it braced it was under weight. That's why I put in the deflex this time in the handle of the one I got in the works now.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1696 on: February 27, 2016, 07:39:09 pm »
DK - sounds like you had a great day.  And I agree - one great shot can make up for some not so good ones.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #1697 on: February 27, 2016, 08:55:03 pm »
I spent some time reducing an osage stave.  I decided to go around some of the knots and make it more snakey.  It did mean that the stave narrowed considerably,  but since I was having trouble finding good (splinter free) wood around the fade,  I only really had about 1.25" to work with out the handle anyway.  I am sure it will be enough. It is just starting to flex a little. There is one knot left--with a big void on the belly and some on the back that I need to work down still.  I don't know if it will go all the way through yet, or if I should fill the belly hole, or what the best move will be.  I have left plenty of meat around it, so I think it will be okay

The length is now 66".  Still have to lay out the yew. . .

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1698 on: February 27, 2016, 09:04:33 pm »
Jeff, looks like you'll have plenty of room to work with. I've gotten 45# bows of osage with less than 1".

I'm thinking about wrapping the bw with a tight bandage and throwing it in the creek for a couple days tied to a cinder block. If nothing else it should loosen the sinew with no damage, release the hide glue, and allow me to change direction.  :laugh:
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1699 on: February 27, 2016, 09:05:16 pm »
That is a nice looking piece of Osage Jeff.  Looks like a good amount of challenge with some nice curves.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #1700 on: February 28, 2016, 01:05:41 pm »
Wow, that's the first time this thread made it to page 2...problem solved ;) that's a sweet looking piece of Osage, looking forward to seeing it bend.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1701 on: February 28, 2016, 03:33:35 pm »
Me and te birthday girl Lauren got our 1 off caul built today for the Osage. Heated the stomach and put some reflex into that bad boy. We will see what we got tomorrow.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1702 on: February 28, 2016, 04:13:36 pm »
That stave looks good Jeff.  The knot looks like it will be fine - may end up filling it on the belly side, but I see no problem.

I like the looks of the osage on the caul Gutshot.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jandersson

« Reply #1703 on: February 28, 2016, 10:09:05 pm »
Ok guys, here is my update.
Tillered mine to 15 and I think I like it, still gonna add some more bend in the handle though. I don't know if my scraper technique is wrong but I pretty much just do one limb and then I have to "sharpen" my scraper again, it makes this go soooo slooow.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1704 on: February 28, 2016, 10:19:55 pm »
JA, is that the lilac? I can't keep up but if it is it is coming along nicely.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1705 on: February 29, 2016, 12:08:24 am »
Me and te birthday girl Lauren got our 1 off caul built today for the Osage. Heated the stomach and put some reflex into that bad boy. We will see what we got tomorrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but that looks like deflex to me. I hope you didn't heat the back?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #1706 on: February 29, 2016, 12:17:49 am »
Looks like deflex to me so id guess the back was heated. So long as its not scorched and is rehydrated it should be ok. Fox tje deflex by reflexing the tips. Makes a nice bow when done that way.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1707 on: February 29, 2016, 02:22:53 am »
I think it's a backwards handle bow.
Steve Bennett

Offline half eye

« Reply #1708 on: February 29, 2016, 06:56:12 am »
You are correct Mr. Turtle
rich

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1709 on: February 29, 2016, 07:43:47 am »
Ok guys, here is my update.
Tillered mine to 15 and I think I like it, still gonna add some more bend in the handle though. I don't know if my scraper technique is wrong but I pretty much just do one limb and then I have to "sharpen" my scraper again, it makes this go soooo slooow.

I learned a long time ago that scrapers are OK but an ordinary blade held vertically works just as well and is sharpened 'normally' so none of that 'squaring off the top and rolling over the burr' hassle you get sharpening a scraper. Chisels work well, but I prefer a knife blade with a gentle curve in the cutting edge.  Be careful though, the blade can catch the wood and skid sideways, scoring a deep scratch if you apply too much pressure :D