Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694498 times)

Offline willie

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1725 on: February 29, 2016, 02:26:18 pm »
GS

I keep a few different lengths nearby. As you draw out the bow more, the gaps get bigger, and I find it is easier to see differences when the gaps are small.

willie

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1726 on: February 29, 2016, 02:33:07 pm »
Gizmos work great.....I don't even use the one I made with the pencil much anymore....just a straight edge.  Only area that can be tough is the fades.  You don't want to get too far into your drawlength with stiff fades...not a great place for set to start.  On the other hand...much better then ending up with a hinge there.

I have been swamped at work lately...no time to work on my trade bows.  Hopefully get back at it soon.  You guys are really making progress.

I love the color of that bow B!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1727 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:52 pm »
PB

nice pic of the handle area, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few close-ups of your finish, if you have them. the dark stain, with just a hint of the grain showing, looks nice

Thanks willie, but It's not finished, some of that will get sanded off, and finshed --- but look pretty much the same. I'm just trying to get it to shoot the best I can now and the initial finish keeps it protected outside in this wet weather. The handle contour is what I'm trying to get right.

Thanks ajooter!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1728 on: February 29, 2016, 03:26:47 pm »
I did absolutely nothing yesterday and I call that a vacation. It was my lazy day of which I take from time to time.

Removed some belly wood on these two this morning and have one floor tillered close enough to put it on the long string. The picture's deceiving because my anchor holding the grip area is not level but the limbs are bending fairly evenly. Will start removing wood by scraping until ready for the short string.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1729 on: February 29, 2016, 03:49:22 pm »
Pretty looking beginning, Fred!

(ps. is that your sled?)

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1730 on: February 29, 2016, 04:57:29 pm »
Sled belongs to my youngest son Jeff. I was using it after the blizzard a couple weeks ago to haul some tools and supplies around the back of the building. I just haven't put it away yet.

That stave on the tree is a sister to my 2014 trade bow. The other stave has some whooptedoos and a little more character and if I can get it tillered properly will probably be my trade bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1731 on: February 29, 2016, 05:45:46 pm »
Fred, my daughter has one just like it. I use it to haul sand to spread on the ice going up to the house. Wouldn't think of....ahem.....riding on it.

It doesn't steer very good either..... :laugh:

Offline pincushin

« Reply #1732 on: February 29, 2016, 05:56:13 pm »
looking good fred

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1733 on: February 29, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »
Everyones lookin great, nice work outta all ya. Havent got much done lately, but finally have 2 whole days off this week, yes in a row. Gonna concentrate on stik bendin and such. You guys r the best, keep it up🏹
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Loope

« Reply #1734 on: February 29, 2016, 11:04:21 pm »
I had glued a block onto the handle before the weekend.  Took the clamps off tonight and rough shaped it down somewhat, then put on a long string for the first time and looked at the tiller.  Can someone check me here?

Here is what I am thinking/planning....  Obviously the right limb is stronger, so get the right limb bending before touching the left.  It looks to me like the inner limb and outer limb is a little stiffer than mid-limb, so work on those first.  After I get the limbs even, then go to a low brace.  After that, then I would put on a caul to get both limbs reflexed evenly.  What do you guys think, am I on the right track?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #1735 on: February 29, 2016, 11:18:58 pm »
I am amazed how many of us have the same luggage scale. At least we are calibrated the same 8)

Offline sleek

« Reply #1736 on: February 29, 2016, 11:28:33 pm »
Haha i have two of those! Question is, does the tape measure still work on everyone else's?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1737 on: February 29, 2016, 11:36:17 pm »
Loope -

Just my thoughts - yep the limb on the right is obviously stronger.  I would not pull on the tree again until that limb is worked and similar in strength to the left.  I would just floor tiller until they are bending similar then go back to the tree.  You can  floor tiller and get the limbs bending surprisingly similar.  If you continue on the tree you may end up with an excessive amount of set.  I can't see what you are pulling to on your scale, but any amount with those uneven limbs will lead to set.

The hinge that is showing up in the left limb may not look as obvious as it does in the pic now once the right limb is weakened some.

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #1738 on: March 01, 2016, 12:21:00 am »
I spent the quiet hours last night after the kids went to bed scraping away at my knot.  Looks like this will be my first bow with a hole in it.  I hope it works--I think it will.  for anyone who has not done this, it isn't as hard as I thought.  I just went at the front with a scraper working in from the sides at the ring I wanted until it was gone.  then I probed with a needle file at the soft spots until I could feel solid wood under the file again.  I could probably clean it up a little more, but I think it is stable as is, and I like some of the discoloration.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1739 on: March 01, 2016, 12:31:45 am »
Loope, I'd put it on the caul before going any further. I wouldn't be putting the string to that bow without making sure those limbs are tillered more evenly.