Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694061 times)

Offline half eye

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1800 on: March 03, 2016, 11:06:20 am »
Man Fred, you been "talkin to them staves" sir......very nice.

I wanted to say that from the start this has been a trade I'm really proud to be a part of.....if ya want to know what they should be go back to page one and start readin 8) 8) 8) I have met some of the nicest people, learned a bunch, and want to keep up the new friendships long after this is history. All of you are a credit to yourselves, bow making, and class acts....each and every one....Proud to know all of you.

Thank you Fred for keeping to your vision, and all you fellas for the great spirit.....this is some very good stuff right here.
rich
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:13:41 pm by half eye »

Offline willie

« Reply #1801 on: March 03, 2016, 01:40:37 pm »
stix-

I have had some good luck with the birch we have around here. better luck with 3-4" saplings than a mature tree. if you can find a thick stand of younger trees, maybe in a regrown clearing?, you stand a good chance of finding more limbless poles. split with bandsaw, remove bark soon, it comes right off when the sap starts running good.

willie

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1802 on: March 03, 2016, 06:48:09 pm »
I see a lot of great work going on. Will be proud to recieve any of them. Been kinda busy on other stuff myself but hope to get some shop time tomorrow to work on the dogwood bow I started.  Have managed to shoot and scrape a little on my plan a to fine tune it some. Tiller still looks a little off to me on the tree but it feels great in my hand. Pulls smooth, hits hard, only a faint hint of shock and almost noiseless. So I think I am going to call it good unless something changes as I shoot it more. Its about 1.5# over max weight at max draw length so it should finish up just right. Will try to get a full draw pic tomorrow to see how it looks in the hand.
Steve Bennett

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1803 on: March 03, 2016, 07:04:55 pm »
Thanx Willie, goin back to my buddies property tomorrow and look around fir bow and arra wood.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Online Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1804 on: March 03, 2016, 07:08:11 pm »
The maple trees have had sap running here so I have been busy with that.  I haven't worked on anything lately other than shooting Plan a.  I will get in my shop some this weekend to do some more work on plan c. 

There are some great looking bows being worked on here.  This has been a lot of fun already.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1805 on: March 03, 2016, 07:23:00 pm »
Been working that FWD handle Osage. Talked to a few  bow builders and one said I needed to glue a handle on the back. But being the person I am sometimes I think I can push the limits and try new things. So now my plan B has some real nice curves. And proud to say I screwed up and should've listened on the handle.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1806 on: March 03, 2016, 07:27:22 pm »
Thats too bad Gutshot. Was looking forward to seeing that one bend.
Steve Bennett

Offline half eye

« Reply #1807 on: March 03, 2016, 07:32:29 pm »
Dang Gutshot....did ya get the chance to give her a good autopsy, sir......where did she let go at? I mean a defect of some kind or design problem?

Turtle, if your that close to "center bubble" wrap that baby up .....and then send it to me >:D
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1808 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:52 pm »
Dang Gutshot....did ya get the chance to give her a good autopsy, sir......where did she let go at? I mean a defect of some kind or design problem?

Turtle, if your that close to "center bubble" wrap that baby up .....and then send it to me >:D
rich

It gave away under the handle overlays. That's ok lesson learned. Picking out another stave to do the same thing but this time I will leave the belly a lot thinker around the handle area. I want stop till I make one or break every stave I have

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1809 on: March 03, 2016, 07:47:16 pm »
What the heck?!  That's really disappointing gut!! I can't believe that let go like that.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1810 on: March 03, 2016, 08:08:34 pm »
Ouch!! Sorry that had to happen Gutshot.  Sounds like you are determined to make a go of it though.  If you go through all the staves you have and you need more let me know.   ;)
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1811 on: March 03, 2016, 08:25:11 pm »
Gut, I hate to see that. I've broke a few but never had one break in that area. It sure looked deep enough.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1812 on: March 03, 2016, 09:44:23 pm »
Man that sucks gut.  Did it let go on a ring at the handle? That would be my thoughts without a closeup.

Osage loves to split,  for as tough and resilient wood that it is,  that's one of its perks and yet a downfall as well.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1813 on: March 03, 2016, 10:03:21 pm »
Man that sucks gut.  Did it let go on a ring at the handle? That would be my thoughts without a closeup.

Osage loves to split,  for as tough and resilient wood that it is,  that's one of its perks and yet a downfall as well.

Patrick

It actually broke through several rings in several places. Almost came out the belly. I was watching the rings and had some rings on the belly the ran off the side of the bow in the fade area. It was almost like the rings curled over there self. Never seen that before but oh well they all can't be a bow

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1814 on: March 03, 2016, 10:19:51 pm »
I hear ya gut.  I done something once that people said was nearly impossible. I crysled Osage and fixed it! I'm still shooting the bow to this day.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!