Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694390 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1890 on: March 09, 2016, 08:44:29 am »
Just returned last night from a family get together in CO. I'll check in after more coffee with some updates.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1891 on: March 09, 2016, 08:56:45 am »
Nice catch gut! Our White's and walleyes are fixen to make their run. That will consume a good bit of my evening. Never really got after the strippers but I've caught a few. Man what a fight!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1892 on: March 09, 2016, 06:55:49 pm »
Gutshot,
Nice fish.......Was that a Cumberland lake or river fish....looks like a lake fish, was it on live or artificial?  I've have caught them on artificial fishing for smallies this time of year.
We'll have to swap some fish stories at Moontree..
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1893 on: March 09, 2016, 08:55:26 pm »
D Bar  lake fish artificial bait. Went back tonight and only caught a 19" large mouth. But the good thing is the Drum are moving in and bow fishing season is getting close.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1894 on: March 09, 2016, 09:22:55 pm »
Sorry fellas, I haven't been near as active in this trade as I had hoped to be.

Too many obligations on the trading post for one.

I can't seem to leave bison parts alone when they get available either.

I'm making 3 bows to give one or 2 to the guy who let me cut osage down in Iowa; heading to Des Moines in 2 weeks for a memorial for my father who passed away down in Harlingen Texas 2 weeks ago so I want to be able to give the man the bows while I'm there.

Always kids and family.

This thing called work is getting in the way some too.

Once back from Iowa I am gonna get after it on this post and try to keep up with you folks, but that aint easy  8) You all got some cool stuff cookin here.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1895 on: March 10, 2016, 11:30:10 am »
Would like some input on this one. Seems to me that it needs to bend more closer to the fades and handle section. It has a slight hinge on the top limb but got most of it worked out and blended in. Top limb on the right 1" longer. Now pulling 45#@22. Pics show relaxed, braced @6 1/4" and drawn to 18".
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #1896 on: March 10, 2016, 11:43:45 am »
looks pretty good to me Fred.  It could probably bend a little more at the fades as you said, but still, that's really dang close to where it needs to be, at least to my eyes.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1897 on: March 10, 2016, 12:14:11 pm »
Looking pretty good to me to Fred - I am assuming it is parallel limb?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1898 on: March 10, 2016, 01:21:43 pm »
Actually hoping for a little give in the handle at full draw. Why I'm thinking the inside 1/3 needs to work a little more.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1899 on: March 10, 2016, 01:24:38 pm »
I agree with your summation, Fred.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1900 on: March 10, 2016, 01:25:39 pm »
That right outer is still a little stiff fred.  Like you said...you need to take some wood off the middle third of the bow to get that give in the handle you want.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1901 on: March 10, 2016, 01:28:25 pm »
I agree with your assessment sir. You could sneek that bend back closer to the centerline but I'd do that slow as you messsin with the overall power in the middle there. I dont know what exactly the profile you are going for but it looks like you could bring the tips back just a bit also.....even if you want stiff tips there some room to bring 'em back a little bit.

Sayin all that, I think she looks really nice
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1902 on: March 11, 2016, 03:19:32 pm »
Taking a day off from the bows in progress while I get 3 sets of billets ready to glue up. I always mix too much for splicing just one bow so thought I'd get a few of these out of the way and ready to work up.

Steamed them and will  clamped until morning, then mix up some urac and get them glued together.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1903 on: March 11, 2016, 03:39:11 pm »
Ok took the BL out of the fumming tube today. I'm very happy with the color. After I get several coats of tung oil on should really pop then. I hope my victim likes the natural aged color.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1904 on: March 11, 2016, 04:12:09 pm »
That's going to look great!
I love it when a plan B comes together....