Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 691124 times)

Offline half eye

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1905 on: March 11, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »
Man Fred you a busy man there...I never did a spliced set of billets.

Gutshot, that looks damned fine sir...like that "aged" look a lot.

rich

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1906 on: March 11, 2016, 06:49:16 pm »
Geez Fred, you are industrious gluing up three billet bows at once.  I think I've done well when I get one glued up.

Gutshot, if your "victim" doesn't like that bow, I'll take it in a heartbeat.  Tung oil should REALLY make that baby look sweet.  Nice job.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1907 on: March 11, 2016, 07:03:29 pm »
Fred, everything your workin on looks sweet. Gutshot, that fuming looks awesome.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1908 on: March 11, 2016, 07:37:56 pm »
Fuming turned out very nice Gutshot.  How many bows you making Fred?  :laugh:  They are looking good!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #1909 on: March 11, 2016, 08:00:26 pm »
Man Fred, that's a lot of bows in the works! Nice job!

Gutshot, I'm loving that color after fuming. I may have to try that at some point.

I'll be working this weekend, so not sure what I'll be getting done. Everybody doing great though. Keep up the good work fellas!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1910 on: March 11, 2016, 08:01:59 pm »
Awesome gut...can't wait to see it with some finish on it!

Hope to be working on something this weekend.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1911 on: March 11, 2016, 08:15:48 pm »
Fred... you look nearly as busy Rich.
Gutshot... realy like the looks of that fume job. What strength ammonia are you using?
Steve Bennett

Offline DC

« Reply #1912 on: March 11, 2016, 09:31:53 pm »
Taking a day off from the bows in progress while I get 3 sets of billets ready to glue up. I always mix too much for splicing just one bow so thought I'd get a few of these out of the way and ready to work up.

Steamed them and will  clamped until morning, then mix up some urac and get them glued together.

I bought a couple of syringes from the vet to mix small amounts of epoxy. I can mix about 3 cc quite accurately. I haven't had a splice come apart yet. I leave the syringes loaded ready to go.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1913 on: March 11, 2016, 09:47:47 pm »
Fred... you look nearly as busy Rich.
Gutshot... realy like the looks of that fume job. What strength ammonia are you using?
Dollor store don't know the streangth

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1914 on: March 12, 2016, 12:18:02 am »
Beautifully colors gut! Do you have any pictures of your fuming setup?  I've been wanting to try that ever since I seen simson do one.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1915 on: March 12, 2016, 04:45:48 am »
Beautifully colors gut! Do you have any pictures of your fuming setup?  I've been wanting to try that ever since I seen simson do one.

Patrick

No, but here is what it is, 6" pvc pipe cut upper and lower holes in it and covered the holes with clear plastic cut from a jug for being able to see it. Used a short bucket for the bottom to set the amonia in and  the pipe. Used a cap with a hole drilled in it with wire going through it to hang the bow from. Simple had everything laying around so that's what was used. Simon uses a long plastic looking bag at the top end he has a heavy duty close hanger With wire or something to hang his bow with and a bucket attached at lower side to put his amonia in. The hangs it from the ceiling. It like it you can see the whole bow.

Offline Loope

« Reply #1916 on: March 12, 2016, 09:16:44 am »
I had a work trip to Germany this week, just got back last night, tired from the trip. There was a lot of reading this morning to catch up on the bow trade.  Now I am ready to get back to it.  I've got to sharpen the drawknife and then get to work on the dogwood.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #1917 on: March 12, 2016, 02:57:52 pm »

Patrick

No, but here is what it is, 6" pvc pipe cut upper and lower holes in it and covered the holes with clear plastic cut from a jug for being able to see it. Used a short bucket for the bottom to set the amonia in and  the pipe. Used a cap with a hole drilled in it with wire going through it to hang the bow from. Simple had everything laying around so that's what was used. Simon uses a long plastic looking bag at the top end he has a heavy duty close hanger With wire or something to hang his bow with and a bucket attached at lower side to put his amonia in. The hangs it from the ceiling. It like it you can see the whole bow.

Thanks gut,  I might just try your idea. I haven't to have an eight inch piece of pvc about seven feet long. Do you hook your wire to the string knock? Do you think if you were to cover a section of the bow that it would not change color? Like if it was in the sun?

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1918 on: March 12, 2016, 03:49:18 pm »

Patrick

Thanks gut,  I might just try your idea. I haven't to have an eight inch piece of pvc about seven feet long. Do you hook your wire to the string knock? Do you think if you were to cover a section of the bow that it would not change color? Like if it was in the sun?

Patrick
I use a metal cloths hanger wire and bend it to fit the knock grove the color is the same under the wire.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #1919 on: March 12, 2016, 03:53:37 pm »
Thanks gut,  I appreciate your help there bud.

Ok, enough hijacking, back to the trade!  >:D

Patrick