Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694045 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1920 on: March 12, 2016, 08:40:33 pm »
I got a lot done today.  First I finished chasing a ring on the yew stave.  The sapwood is now about 1/4" thick.  There is, however one small ring violation.  and I am noticing how easy it is to dent. Adding to the fact that I am working yew in a dry environment, I am thinking about putting a backing on this one.--Which is a problem as I don't have any nice backings.  I have sinew, but I don't like how it looks by itself.  If there is anyone who has thin rawhide or skins and is willing to consider a trade, please PM me.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #1921 on: March 12, 2016, 08:43:24 pm »
I also put some bends into the holey osage and got both staves bending with to a stiff floor tiller stage.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #1922 on: March 12, 2016, 08:47:46 pm »
While I was waiting for the osage to cool, I rebuilt my shave horse.  The top piece was cracking and I had to replace it.  Can I just say how much I like the combination of my draw knife and shave horse?  The more I practice with them, the less I need or want power tools.  I even did most of the cutting for the repair work with a hand saw.

While I was waiting for the other half to cool, I took a fist sized piece of obsidian and started hitting it.  I haven't knapped in a while, so I was very surprised when I found this in the middle of that rock.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1923 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:54 pm »
Looks like some good progress Jeff.  Nice point too.

Last night I was back at boiling sap.  I have a lot of time waiting while I tend the fire when I make maple syrup so I was able to get some work done on my plan b BL.  I got the rawhide backing cleaned up and thinned.  I then started tillering.  I got the bow bending pretty even and have gotten it to 14 inches.  I ended up boiling sap until 2 am.  It was worth it. I ended up with another gallon of syrup. 

Today I didn't get any bow work done.  My son and I spent the day building the stage and set for his school's spring musical.  We will be doing that for the next several weekends.  We got a lot of work today.  My son isn't interested in building bows so I always enjoy building sets for the school plays.  It gives me a chance to build with my son.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1924 on: March 12, 2016, 09:30:09 pm »
Jeff those 2 bows are looking good. One of these days I'm gonna get a price of yew to work. I think that's the coolest looking bow wood they are.

Swampman how many trees do you have tapped. Sounds like your going have plenty of syrup.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #1925 on: March 12, 2016, 09:34:57 pm »
Jeff those 2 bows are looking good. One of these days I'm gonna get a price of yew to work. I think that's the coolest looking bow wood they are.

Swampman how many trees do you have tapped. Sounds like your going have plenty of syrup.

Gut, this is my first piece of yew and I am liking it.  It will be hard to give away, but one of these is for my brother, the other is the trade bow.  Don't know which is which yet.
Pretty sure you can never have enough real maple syrup.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1926 on: March 12, 2016, 09:39:06 pm »
Ok I've got a 66" WDB rattler or copperheads to put on the Black Locus. Here is how I'm going to do it. Everybody pick which skin you would prefer as if It was your bow. And if the victim of this bow comments then that's the skin it will get. If the victim don't comment I will put the skin that gets the most votes. Thanks Paul

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #1927 on: March 12, 2016, 09:50:42 pm »
since I think it is illegal to possess western diamondback skins in Utah, I vote copperhead (no idea if those are legal here)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #1928 on: March 12, 2016, 09:54:09 pm »
I vote copperhead. I always loved the look of them.

Kyle

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1929 on: March 12, 2016, 10:02:38 pm »
Man, jeffp51 those re looking really nice!

I'm watching the moisture drop a little every day on the blank for my Plan C bow. Shooting in Plan A and B. I'm getting pretty accurate results with both of them. But I'm not too happy with my target. The arrows often bounce right off of it! My wife bought it for me as a surprise last Christmas. I don't know what it is filled with, but it seems to pack, and now it almost always bounces anywhere near the bullseye. >:( Taking a lot of the joy out of shooting, but I don't want to say anything about it!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1930 on: March 12, 2016, 10:26:56 pm »
Copperhead for me too.  Just like the look of them.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #1931 on: March 12, 2016, 10:58:22 pm »
Gutshot,
     either of them will look good, Maybe ya should lay both on the or near the bow and see which seems to go better. Aint really an answer but I recommend you make it the way you like it, then whoever the lucky guy is will "your kinda bow"
rich

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1932 on: March 12, 2016, 11:55:43 pm »
I. Vote copperhead too. 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1933 on: March 13, 2016, 12:24:05 am »
Gut, I have 10 maple trees tapped and I vote copperhead.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1934 on: March 13, 2016, 07:14:53 am »
copperheads look so cool. dont get me wrong WDB is bada$$, just like copperheads.
DevilsBeachSelfbows