Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693593 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2055 on: March 17, 2016, 11:51:12 pm »
heard a little tick in my osage stave while tillering tonight. . .
Maybe it was nothing, but I hope I am not going to be in the market for a new plan B piece of wood.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2056 on: March 18, 2016, 04:27:05 am »
Hi Mitch,
Not planning anything just wingin it. Started off with a hazel hollow limb lever arm bow, wanted a 2part take-down. Sawed it in half but the joint I tried was all wrong so was forced to try something else, three versions of a riser later and I'm still learning lots but then I found Royal Mail max length package is 3 feet which gives max two-part take down length of 54". Three part is probably the best way forward but still want to find a way of making a two-parter......

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2057 on: March 18, 2016, 06:05:28 am »
Still learning :( glue held, cherry failed as I strung her, suspect the bow may be a long way over target weight but now I've got to season some iron wood so may not be posting for a couple a weeks. Anyone know how to clean araldite off brass?

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2058 on: March 18, 2016, 07:05:21 am »
Stuck I've cleaned Brass before by soaking it in coke-a-cola. Don't know what they put in coke but man it makes brass shiny

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2059 on: March 18, 2016, 08:19:37 am »
I'm going to attempt a three-piece takedown myself gut.  Bingham Archery sells some nice hardware for the limb locking system.  They have a couple different styles too.  I would post the link but I don't think I'm supposed to.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2060 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:35 am »
Hey Stuck....You might be better off if you laminate a block with multiple layer and then carve that out into a riser.....I think thats why the commercial glass bows are made that way (look good but are also stronger than a monolithic block of wood). An alternative would be to use a piece of metal or phonelic resin to greatly reinforce the attachment area over the broadest possible area.

Jeff,  hopefully that "tick" was a small sliver trying to lift on one of the edges....if so ya might be able to fix it.....would it be possible for you to take a pic after ya find it?
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2061 on: March 18, 2016, 09:42:13 am »
Very, very unsafe stuckinthemud, but I think a few dozen folks told you that some weeks ago. Its never a good idea to cut corners on multiple piece bows. Somebodies face/head is at risk. That other limb will break off with little effort as well.

ajooter, they sell the whole kit for $15-18. I used it. Works properly and is safe. An I-beam riser that will never break is as easy as gluing 3 boards together.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2062 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:06 am »
I'm working on finishing one limb and then maybe the side of the riser I'm going to use.  My riser is one solid piece of hickory at this point.  I will post pictures soon on my progress.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2063 on: March 18, 2016, 10:14:13 am »
Yup, your right, they did, but I always gotta learn the hard way - me and electric fences - I did touch a metal wheelbarrow to one once just because I was told not too and boy it gives you a kick behind the knees!. The only reason I never licked a metal post in the winter was because I licked ice straight from the freezer instead  >:D

Glue lams are really strong, that's true but I don't like the way they look, and I have no machinery, not even a belt sander, and hand-prepping that many faying surfaces does not appeal.

The 40 year old riser on my fibre-glass-and-wood recurve is made of a single piece of mahogany with glued-in brass receivers, so a nice beefy piece of iron-wood with a re-think about the handle/bed junction based on that system is next up (with 4" beds!). If that doesn't cut-it then an I-beam sounds good. Any pictures of two and three part bows would be really helpful at this point.  :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2064 on: March 18, 2016, 10:30:57 am »
Good luck and wear goggles.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2065 on: March 18, 2016, 10:44:15 am »
Need both, that's for sure, still not certain how I survived so long, think I make my angels to work overtime, must be the power of prayer! :D

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2066 on: March 18, 2016, 11:25:51 am »
luck favors the brave stuck - your not alone in your 'i have to try it my way first' mentality.  I've got a few scars to prove it myself.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2067 on: March 18, 2016, 12:15:04 pm »

Jeff,  hopefully that "tick" was a small sliver trying to lift on one of the edges....if so ya might be able to fix it.....would it be possible for you to take a pic after ya find it?
rich

I may have found it last night, but I already smoothed it out.  It will be a bit before I pull on this without a little cringe.  I am trying to even up the bend before I pull it further.  I haven't pulled it past 35# yet.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2068 on: March 18, 2016, 12:17:44 pm »
Where was the tick coming from jeff? The last hickory bowing made had some of the cambium let loose and that sound just about made me puke on my shoes!  I know just where you are coming from.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2069 on: March 18, 2016, 02:03:09 pm »
The possible crack I found was on a corner about 3 inches up from the fade.  It hasn't done it again--yet.  I have it at low brace now, but I still haven't pulled to full weight--40#  The little waves and character are proving to be a bit of a challenge.  I will put up a pic or two here in a bit.