Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694006 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2190 on: March 27, 2016, 08:34:27 pm »
Totally agree Dear!  I was already thinking along those lines myself.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2191 on: March 27, 2016, 08:34:51 pm »
Dbar...not dear haha

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2192 on: March 27, 2016, 08:40:57 pm »
I would like to use either antler or horn and redo the nocks....I have some gorgeous overlay materials if anybody wants to make a trade!  8)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2193 on: March 27, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »
I can send you a chunk of antler if you need one. I have plenty, no need for reimbursement. Just PM me your address. I have a different shipment to make tomorrow anyways. I can't imagine it would take more than a couple stamps to cover the weight so I'm happy to help.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Loope

« Reply #2194 on: March 27, 2016, 09:05:38 pm »
After lots and lots of hatchet work and blisters, I have the Plan B dogwood ready for tiller.... and have wishes for a bandsaw!

This is some hard, dense, and tough wood!  It doesn't chop easily and doesn't cut easily with even a hair-shaving, razor sharp drawknife.  I was curious, so I did a poor man's SG check... cut a 6 inch long piece of wood and shape it to a square cross-section, and used calipers to make sure it was the same thickness the whole length.  Then dunk in a glass of water and see how much of it floats.  Based on this test, this piece of dogwood has a SG of about 0.85.

Anyway, got it ready for starting tiller.  I have left it a little wide still, and a little thick.  The knots I found earlier mostly disappeared during the shaping.  One of the knots carved out while getting down to starting thickness, but left a swirly grain area.  I am leaving this extra wide for now.

There are still some knots in the handle, but I will probably cut this down and laminate some knot free wood back on.

Happy Easter everyone!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2195 on: March 27, 2016, 09:11:30 pm »
Ajooter, if you've got a good glue joint those overlays would work fine.  But, per Dbar you've got more mass there than you need and extra weight out on the tips is the last thing you want.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2196 on: March 27, 2016, 09:31:28 pm »
Ajooter, if you've got a good glue joint those overlays would work fine.  But, per Dbar you've got more mass there than you need and extra weight out on the tips is the last thing you want.

The real tip here is not to let the overlay extend out past the bow wood...... ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2197 on: March 27, 2016, 09:41:20 pm »
I actually found some antler so I'll go with it....thanks a lot Kid...that was awful generous of you.  I really won't lose much limb length at all and the upper limb is already 1.5" longer.

I'll fix her fellas....thanks for all the input!

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2198 on: March 28, 2016, 09:18:35 am »
got my last back chased on my final stave, and it's the one I'm going to start with, so I marked it up to.  It's 61ish inches end to end, so I reserved 12 inches for the bending handle (6 inches each side of center), and I'm going to keep it 1 1/4 inch wide all way, and then taper down to 1/2 inch tips starting 6 inches out.  Going to flip the tips as well.  Should give me a bit of width to work with, and should help me keep the weight up to where it needs to be.  I'm going to reduce the thickness down to floor tiller next weekend, unless I get some time this week, which isn't likely cause the kids are on spring break and we will be doing some stuff.

I had to go down about 3 rings cause one end of the stave had a crack/check in it.  That knot was a pain to, but I got it all down nice and clean.

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2199 on: March 28, 2016, 10:25:10 am »
Alright I FINALLY got my ring chased!  At least, I hope so.  There were all sorts of pin knots (which I was warned about with Black Locust) and aside from one tiny tearout on an edge that will likely be removed anyway, they're all clean.  I laid it down on the garage floor and as you can see, right where the big knot on the left is it starts twisting pretty badly.  If I was thinking, I would have laid down a ruler next to it.  >_<  Should I try straightening it before shaping it?

Offline half eye

« Reply #2200 on: March 28, 2016, 10:39:42 am »
Hey Ranasp, please put up the picture 8)
rich

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2201 on: March 28, 2016, 11:22:57 am »
Now why would you want something like that done?  Oh fine. 

Apparently I haven't had nearly enough coffee this morning. >_<

Offline half eye

« Reply #2202 on: March 28, 2016, 11:51:23 am »
Looks like you could go either way. But perhaps you can carve in the front profile and thin the limb thickness just a tad....maybe near to floor tiller....then straighten the twist before tillering her out.
Just my .02 however.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #2203 on: March 28, 2016, 12:05:38 pm »
OK fellas,
     Here is an open letter to MR. FRED......we have uncovered a conspiracy to pay you back for all your shenanigans running this trade. It is unknown if it is a " vast right-wing conspiracy" or the actions of "hyper-active wood nymphs & gnomes" but either way here's all of you's chance to get back at Fred.

There are three packages heading to Mr. Fred's house. They are marked 1of3  2of3   and 3of3.....but Fred ya cant open any of them until all 3 get there  >:D >:D >:D  There is/was a lot of underhanded, sneeky, and otherwise untoward activities involved here and just some of the conspirators are listed here......DuBois, Dakota kid, Tattoo Dave, Don Burchett, Dan Hamblin, and just maybe a small amount of ole' half eye but that is not an admission. ::)

It would be very nice if all of the trade participants could occasionally  (or more often if so inclined) remind Fred that "paybacks is hell" >:D >:D >:D  8)

Maybe some open speculation as to what ever these could be, or what kind of pay-back is involved could help Fred with a slight bit of anticipation.
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2204 on: March 28, 2016, 12:46:51 pm »
I hope all of you guys are playing fair? You all know paybacks are a bitch!!!

You do have me wondering what you're up to.  ::)
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.